Dry Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troxs

Reaction score
So I am thinking about moving into using dry yeast after having so many liquid yeast fail for me. My question is if I decided to purchase a 25 count box which would be a better choice considering I mainly brew IPA and the occasional Stout?

If I went with either of those would I be able to sprinkle on top of say a 1.060 - 1.070 gravity beer? or would I still need a started etc.

If I went with either of those would I be able to sprinkle on top of say a 1.060 - 1.070 gravity beer? or would I still need a started etc.

an 11 gram package of either of those should work just fine. If you make a bigger beer than that, two packages would work.

I ordered some US-05 from austinhomebrew.com to give it a whirl. You think my beer will be ok being stored in a sealed bucket fermenter for a few days for it to arrive. I have no other yeast on hand, and the one I bought for the brew is no good.

keep it as cool as possible. Some say that it is better to re-hydrate your dry yeast in a cup of cool water before pitching instead of sprinkling it on top of the wort.

So as long as I keep the wort cool, and pitch in a day or so I shouldn't have any issues. I will probably rehydrate the yeast while I brew, but either way it'll beat making a starter two days in advance; or forgetting to make a starter so you try to use a small amount of wort in hopes that you can keep the other 5 gallons good until the starter becomes active

i much prefer us-05...notty is a good yeast but the lag times have turned me away...pay the extra $1.50/pack for the us-05...imo

My favorite is Notty and US-05 for dry.

I have never noticed a difference between liquid or dry yeast when making beer.

curious if liquid yeast is more beneficial in any way...

check out llama's "This vs. That" thread and the post on Yeasts:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/#post1204665

Basically, there are dozens of different strains available in liquid yeast form, representing the yeast styles of many different beers from several breweries.

Personally, I get leftover liquid yeast from my local craft brewery. I bring a sanitized mason jar to them on their lunch break then come back at the end of the work day and I've got a big jar full of VERY active Wyeast 1056. There's zero lag time, no starter necessary. While US-05 is basically the same strain, I find it get less of the fruity flavor present in 05 when I use this yeast from the brewery.

Latest posts

Back