Dry yeast pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAY_DEAD

Reaction score
I'm brewing the zombie dust clone from NB and adding 1# of corn sugar to up the ABV a little. I'm also using safale US-05, which I have just a little familiarity with. I usually use liquid with a starter, but I'm running short on time. I'm guessing with the corn sugar addition, my OG is going to be around 1.070-1.075.

My question: should I pitch both packets of yeast (rehydrate of course) to account for such a high OG? I thought I read somewhere that dry yeast has more viable cells per packet than does liquid yeast (pre starter), but I can't remember.

Also, from what I can remember, us-05 ferments pretty clean with low to no off flavors, so I'm thinking 2 packets won't hurt.

Any experienced brewer's like to chime in?

Cheers!

I would definitely pitch two packets of US-05 for that batch. And pay attention to the rehydration temperature. There's some disagreement about how important it is, but why take a chance.

I've heard to rehydrate from 95-105, sound right? At first, I thought that was high. But the more I read, that seems more and more commonplace

I've heard to rehydrate from 95-105, sound right? At first, I thought that was high. But the more I read, that seems more and more commonplace

Actually, after looking at their website, they say to rehydrate at 80* +/-6*F

Re-hydrate one and sprinkle the other. One of 'em will get to work.

Back