Dry yeast or liquid and DME or LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricM83

Reaction score
I ordered a kit online and had the option of upgrading to DME over LME and also of upgrading to liquid over dry yeast. I upgraded both of them, but am just wondering if there is much difference between them. This will only be my 2nd batch I've made and the 1st batch I used LME and dry yeast so I'm just curious. Thanks.

There's nothing wrong with any choice you'd make between those 4 ingrediants. It's mainly personal preference. DME is easier to use as you just pour the bag into the wort while you would have to spoon out the liquid syrup in the LME and continually stir to avoid burning your extract on the bottom of your kettle.

As far as dry or liquid yeast, it kind of depends on what you're brewing and once again on what you're more comfortable with. Dry yeast is actually much easier, and if you pitch enough you will get good fermentation. Liquid can deliver more consistent results for your brews if you were to compare two batches of the same ingredients. Also, liquid is available in a wider variety of strains than dry. However, everyone would tell you that you have to build a starter with either Whitelabs or Wyeast liquid yeast kits. This is a little more involved and more complicated than just throwing your dry yeast on top of your wort.

But, once again it's personal preference. The newer you are to brewing, the better off you are going as simple as possible so Good luck and happy brewing!! :mug:

+1 to everything duffman2 said.

What kits did you order? You will find that some recipes/styles of beer benefit with a liquid yeast over a dry (like a belgian) but both definitely have their place.

On LME vs DME, you will find that oftentimes LME is cheaper than DME.

In my opinion, the main difference is that one kind is more expensive than the other.;)

But seriously, folks.

DME will give you a lighter color and you'll have less risk of caramelizing like with LME.

There's a wider variety of liquid yeasts out there than there are in dry yeast. I personally prefer to make ales with WYEAST than with Safale, but that's basically due to the flavor profile, not whether one was dried or wet.

However, everyone would tell you that you have to build a starter with either Whitelabs or Wyeast liquid yeast kits. This is a little more involved and more complicated than just throwing your dry yeast on top of your wort.

Although I think I *will* make a starter next time just to guarantee a fast fermentation, I used a vial of Whitelabs on my first brew (shook it and pitched right in once the wort cooled) and I hit my target FG right on. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just make sure the yeasties are happy with their ambient temperature.

One thing that definitely helps in this regard is aerating well. I didn't aerate at all, but in retrospect I stirred the wort a lot while it was cooling (not a good idea either) and that probably put enough oxygen in the wort on accident. :eek:

Back