Dry yeast for 3 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlk47

Reaction score
I'm planning to start doing 3 gal BIAB AG full boil batches and was wondering if pitching a full packet of dry yeast (straight pitch, no rehydrating) would work out fairly well for this?

Just don't want to be over pitching but if I don't rehydrate, it seems it would be fine.. Any quality issues that I may run into?

Do you have a scale that can accurately measure grams or tenths of grams? You may find that your pitching rate is more consistent and repeatable if you re-hydrate the appropriate amount of yeast each time. You can toss the rest of the package if you like (since it'd be hard to keep it sanitary), but it'll save all those dead yeast cells from floating around in your beer.

I'm planning to start doing 3 gal BIAB AG full boil batches and was wondering if pitching a full packet of dry yeast (straight pitch, no rehydrating) would work out fairly well for this?

Just don't want to be over pitching but if I don't rehydrate, it seems it would be fine.. Any quality issues that I may run into?

Yes, I think you have a solid plan....but

If you want to "overanalyze" it...you could use mr malty linked below and reduce viability based on no rehydrating and date on yeast...but I would RDWHAHB

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

measuring tenths of grams....omg cheers!

For a 3 gallon normal gravity batch, I'd simply pitch an 11g packet of dry yeast and not bother with rehydration since you'll have plenty of cells.

For 5 gallons, I rehydrate it in warm (95-100*F) tap water, wait 15 min, stir and then adjust the temp (by adding small amounts of wort) to within 10*F before pitching.

i exclusively do 3 gallon BIAB batches. Always pitch the whole packet of yeast. Been using 05 this way for quite some time. Hell, i even pitched 1 cup of US05 slurry into a 3 gallon IPA last week.

You could, COULD, consider rehydrating those packets into a small starter, then splitting the yeast into thirds, storing two, pitching one. You'd go from 200b to nearly 300b cells in a 1L starter not on a stir-plate, just intermittent shaking/swirling. Just a thought because storing the yeast in mason jars is easier than storing dry yeast, to me anyway, and you'd get 3 batches from one packet.

Back