Dry Rub Corned Beef..... a different twist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I've made corned beef numerous times in the past using a brine. This time, I've decided to get a bit creative, and to use a dry rub. The dry rub was based on 5T of Tenderquick and some brown sugar. I used pickling spice crushed in my mortar and pestle, some paprika. In one I used a generous shot of bourbon...... about 2 shots, and a healthy amount of liquid smoke. The other (of two) used some Chipoltle. Both had granulated garlic added as well. Both were made with cheap Cross Rib Chuck roasts which were on sale, rather than brisket, which has become valuable with it's increasing popularity.

It will be about 3 weeks before I'll know the result.

H.W.

Interesting. I'd like to hear the results. This is my go-to for corned beef: http://ruhlman.com/2015/03/how-to-cure-corned-beef/

Your "go to" recipe is very similar to what I've done in the past. I've never done as dry rub type cure. The two roasts I used were each vacuum sealed in food saver bags with the rub. The starting point for the rub was Morton's instructions for making a dry rub corned beef with Tender quick. I just felt like experimenting a bit. My pickling spice was Cresecent brand whole pickling spice. I also used some turmeric in the one with Chipoltle.
I presume the result will be edible if perhaps unconventional.....

H.W.

Corned Beef is about $6/lb right now, but after St. Paddy's day it drops to 99 cents/lb.

Last year I bought 3 of them and "de-brined" ( I know, a misnomer) them 4 times and they were pretty good and low in salt.

Latest posts

Back