Dry imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knoosen

Reaction score
I enjoy both dry Irish stouts and Russian imperial stouts. Having brewed some dry high-gravity Belgian quads, I'm wondering whether a Russian imperial stout could benefit from the same degree of attenuation or whether the mouthfeel, sweetness, and maltiness of a higher FG is needed to balance the roastiness and high alcohol. Does anyone have any experience of brewing a lower-FG RIS?

I have brewed a roasty, 75 IBUs Porter this spring, where the FG was 1.011. This was done using Nottingham dry yeast and some sugar in the boil. The final beer was 8.1% and it was relatively dry and bitter. Became much better after 30 days in the bottle, but was still good 2 weeks after bottling.

I think it is entirely possible to brew a higher ABV Porter/Stout with an FG does closer to an IPA/Belgian Tripel style and still be good.

For my recipe, I just used Maris Otter, Black Malt, Chocolate Malt, English Crystal 90 and 160L + Sugar in the boil and fermented around 68-70F ( 20-21C ).

I made a solid RIS a few years ago that was bone dry...1.104 OG attenuated all the way to 1.015 FG. Pretty sure it got cross-contaminated with Saccharomyces var diastaticus, but the flavors were on point, and the beer was spectacular. If you’re looking for the same level of attenuation, consider adding 10% sugar at high krausen, mash low (147-149F), keep the OG under 1.090, and use a neutral ale yeast like US-05 to crank it dry. I would resist the impulse to use saison yeast or WLP099 to crank up the attenuation; you really need some residual sugars for mouthfeel.

FWIW, I dug up my old RIS recipe:

83% Maris Otter
6% Roasted Barley
4% Flaked Oats
4% Chocolate Malt
2% Special B
1% Midnight Wheat

75 IBU Cluster @ 90 min
15 IBU Cluster @ 30 min

WY1728 @ 62F for 30 days, then racked to a keg and cold conditioned for another 60 days.

Last edited:
I've used 3711 in big stouts, and they definitely taste way different when super dry--more belgian than stout. Mine had some other Belgian aspects, like special B.

Thanks for the input and suggestions. I'm leaning toward using a neutral yeast but using a Belgian or saison sounds interesting as well.

I would be interested to see how something like this would taste. What if... You take some glucoamylase and add that to your mash after temp has cooled... So do a lower temp mash like 146 and after about an hour, let it cool. Then add the glucoamylase for X minutes and start to bring it up to a boil to denature the enzyme. The timing on glucoamylase would be a crap shoot, but if you do over do it, you could always make more RIS and blend that in with the batch that was too dry.

Thoughts on this?

My current impy finished at 1.011. if you are going to go that route make sure you keep you in proportional and use a generous amount of flavor hops

Back