Dry hops in a nylon mesh bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
My first attempt at growing hops has produced a decent amount for first year plants from 3 different rhizomes. The Chinook & Cascade are just starting to get to the point where I can harvest some of the cones. I've been trying to figure out a way to dry the cones I harvest without going out & spending more money (been doing too much of that lately).

I found a nylon mesh bag in the closet that you would use for laundry and I was wondering if it would be good for drying. I live in southern California so right now the weather is hot & pretty dry. I was thinking of putting the hops in the bag and hanging it on my patio. It wouldn't be in direct sun but would get plenty of fresh dry air. Right now I'm only getting a pint or so at a time off the bines so "production drying" isn't an issue.

What do you think?

just get the hops exposed to the air-one layer of hops with air on top and bottom. The mesh bag might not expose the hops very well unless you lay it on a table and spread the hops out...then again, they will dry pretty quick in So Cal summer as long as you keep moving the inner hops around to be exposed to the air.. As above, I use window screens- just sandwich the hops between two screens and let them sit in the shade for a day.

That might work. I put the hops in a laundry basket lined with newspaper - several inches deep - and turn them daily. You can do the same thing in kraft paper bags. Low tech, but it works.

Back