When are hops ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catalanotte

Reaction score
This is my first season harvesting hops (2nd growing season). I have read lots of articles and posts on when to harvest and have an academic idea. However I am a bit visual and was hoping someone could share picture of ripe cones. The picture below is a couple Cascade cones. Is the amount and color of lupilin about right or will they get more ripe? I tried the % dry weight test on my Chinook and am at about 14% so it would seem they need more time. I read 23% is a good goal. What works best for you to determine harvest time?

In Southern Wisconsin.

Attachments

• BA3CAAFE-9238-4E2F-8353-4441456C0429.jpeg
    BA3CAAFE-9238-4E2F-8353-4441456C0429.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I've been growing hops for a few years, and I'm still guessing on when to pick. I use them as late hops and don't worry too much about peak ripeness. If they are about ready when I brew, I use them.

I picked my Willamette a week ago as they were ready with a few of them browning. My Nuggets are now ready to pick, they smell good without breaking them open and even two hop cones squeezed makes fingers sticky. I have a few first year diamond springs that have maybe a dozen cones on them and are at least a week before they are ready.
Btw, being excited that it will be a good harvest I went to my wife and saying my fingers are sticky, smell them was not appreciated.

If they are about ready when I brew, I use them.
I am getting there. I built a Harvest Ale recipe that needs about 4-5 pounds of wet hops and want to have it on tap by the end of the month so need to get brewing soon. Might take your advice and bitter with pellets and load up the wet hops for flavor/aroma. I guess I could always dry hop with a late harvest off the vine. Have you dry hopped with "wet" hops or would you dry them first?

I have dried them only once I think. I haven't dry hopped with them because they sometimes harbor insects and I don't want to risk infection. For the current batch I put them in at one minute left in the boil. I think even whirlpool hopping would sanitize them.

I tried the % dry weight test on my Chinook and am at about 14% so it would seem they need more time.

I only have a few years of experience myself, but visually I would agree with the "need more time" statement. The cones will show some signs of browning on the tips and will "crunch" / "feel papery" when squeezed. Your cones look very green and likely are soft/spongy when squeezed.

I only have a few years of experience myself, but visually I would agree with the "need more time" statement. The cones will show some signs of browning on the tips and will "crunch" / "feel papery" when squeezed. Your cones look very green and likely are soft/spongy when squeezed.
This.
Also when lupalin freely falls from the cones when you give them a squeeze.
usually I start squeezing when i start seeing some brown on them.

Thanks all. Vines came down and brewed this past weekend. Big increase in the aroma over the last few days before harvest. Drying what’s left for later brews.

Attachments

• 8E7C8897-2F1F-4847-ACD5-266E2D07B6BE.jpeg
    8E7C8897-2F1F-4847-ACD5-266E2D07B6BE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • C97D8800-E74D-4CC4-9AA8-40782D444B43.jpeg
    C97D8800-E74D-4CC4-9AA8-40782D444B43.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back