Dry Hops for Imperial Red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foovanadil

Reaction score
I just brewed the following as an Imperial red:

12 oz. Crystal 40 (steep for 30 mins)

9 lbs. Amber LME @ 60
1 oz. Amarillo @ 60

1 oz. Amarillo @ 10

A very simple attempt at an imperial red. I used Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale Yeast which was a re-pitch from my previous batch (which was northern brewers three hearted ale)

I am thinking adding something to Dry Hop would help the overall character of the brew.

I am a huge hop head and this is my attempt to brew a more balanced beer. However it just isn't enough I think.

So what do you guys think? What would go good with the Amarillo to add a nice aroma?

Or should I just put the hops down and step away slowly ;)

I think you should let the batch mature without dry hopping. What's the point of brewing a Red if you hop it like an IPA? You'll drown the flavors that make a Red a Red.

I really like pairing Simcoe with Amarillo.

I am a huge hop head and this is my attempt to brew a more balanced beer. However it just isn't enough I think.

If you are looking for balance, IMO 2 oz of Amarillo is not enough for a big red.

Just for reference: I recently brewed a 1.070 OG "Red" with this for hops (79 IBU):

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Columbus Pellet 16.80 68.3 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.60 4.6 10 min.
1.00 oz. Centennial Pellet 8.10 6.6 10 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.60 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Centennial Pellet 8.10 0.0 0 min.
0.40 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 6.50 0.0 0 min.
0.80 oz. Columbus Pellet 15.00 0.0 Dry Hop
0.40 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 6.50 0.0 Dry Hop

david_42 said:
I think you should let the batch mature without dry hopping. What's the point of brewing a Red if you hop it like an IPA? You'll drown the flavors that make a Red a Red.

It's an individual preference, but I don't think that I have drowned mine by dry hopping, the malt aroma stands up well and then... A big red can take time to mature, hop aromas usually fade away anyway. The last one I brewed is 4 months old and is just where I like it now, very balanced.

Rogue dry hops St. Rogue Red Ale with Centennial hops, which would go well with the Amarillo. St. Rogue is a mighty tasty beer as well.

The dry hopped St. Rogue is very good. I made an imperial red not too long ago and the dry hop really was a good add in my opinion.

Back