Dry Hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alphadawg

Reaction score
So i just brewed a Tropical wheat beer. My local brew store helped with the recipe and told me to dry hop the beer. They gave me pellets and told me to throw them in the secondary fermenter, my glass conboy. I did, thinking it would all drop to the bottom. It did not. Mostly it floated at the top but anytime I moved the bucket the residue would sink down a little and then slowly float back up. When I put the beer into my bottling bucket there was still a good bit of hops residue floating around. I bottled it anyway - not sure i had much choice. Was this correct and is the residue going to cause any issues with my beer?

What you did is right. When I dry hop with pellets, I just toss them in and let them do your thing. No issues here.

When I dry hop in a carboy, I'd typically swirl the beer in a circular motion to avoid splashing in order to get all the hops to submerge. They would sometimes end up returning to the surface but as long as they were submerged for a little bit, I was OK with that.

You’re good. They’ll settle out as the beer carbonates an you chill it. You won’t have any problems with the beer. You’ll just have hops at the bottom of your bottle. Pour gently into just one glass and you’ll have a fine beer.
For future beers, if you can cold crash, that will drop the hops out of your primary or second. That way you won’t transfer that hops to your bottles.

I bag all of my hope pellets, in the boil, hopstand, and dry hop......I don't like dealing with the sediment.......and I haven't noticed any flavor or aroma loss. You might try that in the future.....

YMMV

Lon

My process has always been no bag in kettle and bagged in the fermenter. I deviated from this my last brew . I have the cf5 and have the ability to cold crash. I dry hopped commando and what a pain. Honestly I found the taste of the beer not as good because the increased hop extraction . I noticed more beer loss dry hopping commando. Plus most of the hops did drop however a slight amount didnt which caused plugs and a lengthy transfer. The first poor was a tosser because the hop particles that were transferred over settled to the bottom of the keg . So I was thinking of getting a filter but after tasting the beer it isnt worth the hassle.

Beer will be fine, but open the bottles over a sink. The hop articles can become nucleation points (aids gas coming out of solution - like the laser etched ring on the bottom of some beer glasses).

I bag whole hops in the fermenter and hold the bag down with marbles (otherwise the bag would float on the top. I just toss in pellets, and give the fermenter a gentle nudge every day to help the hops sink. When racking from the fermenter into the bottling bucket, I cover the end of the siphon (in the main fermenter) with a mesh bag to screen out the hops. I use a 5 gallon paint straining bag from the hardware store (re-usable), sanitize it and put it over the racking cane, and hold it in place with a twist tie. I don't know if it makes any difference, but as the level of the beer goes down, I push down the top of the bag to maximize the area in the liquid - doing it, so why stop.concerned the hops could clog the bag if I only have a small area at the end - might not be needed, but I've not had a problem

Latest posts

Back