Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do a couple additions. My big IPAs have been getting 3 days on 30% of the hops and then gelatin and then dump all that and hit it again with the rest of my dry hop addition for about 4 days. Then crash it for 48 and keg.

Most of the aroma is out of the hops in the first 24 hours.

No matter what you do keeping the o2 out when you add your dry hops is very important. Purging your vessel with co2 after adding hops is the best bet. Unless you have a hop cannon. Then you are good to go.

I usually do 3-5 days. If you are going to gelatin, you may want to do it before the dryhop. I have found (some will agree, some wont) that gelatin strips some aroma after the dryhop.

There are a lot of beliefs/methods here. I like to dry hop in my keg after fining/filter. Double dry hop, time depends on temp. I now do three days@70 then fine, crash (not too fast). Filter after three days crash. Carbonate. Keg hop four days before consumption. I've left dry hops in at serving temps for two weeks before noticing some grassy. I've noticed it in four days at 70°.

Note; I use a lot of Co2 to triple purge EVERYTHING. Even if you don't keg you should have Co2 or nitrogen available for brewing ipa. It REALLY is that important for hop bombs (except for that one guy who was actually looking to reproduce the caramel sweet oxidized Alfa acids flavor of old ipa).

Back