Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsullivan

Reaction score
I brew with just a ready made beer kit and sugar (combination of dextrose, maltodextrin, and malt). Recently I have started adding hops that are sealed in a kind of tea bag. I put them into the brew just after the fermentation frenzy has died down but not stopped. Usually 3 days. Is this a good idea or do I risk contaminating the brew. And am I compromising the bitterness, the taste or the aroma of the hops. Any advice?

You should wait until fermentation is done or as close to done as possible. Otherwise CO2 from fermentation can carry away your aroma. Also the yeast that are still in suspension can pull the hop oils down with them when they flocculate.

The tea bag should be sanitized for sure, no need to worry about the hops

I dry hop in a similar fashion. There is not so much a risk for contamination because of the ph, presence of alcohol, and lack of oxygen at that point.

There is perhaps less flavor as mentioned, but I prefer the timing to be towards the end of fermentation because of the active yeast absorbing any oxygen introduced from the dry hops.

Just wondering what type of hop would go good with a red lager when dry hopping?

Just tasted a wheat beer I made from a kit and added hops (Nelson Sauvin). Smells and taste like smokey bacon. Bloody good :)

Just wondering what type of hop would go good with a red lager when dry hopping?
Need to see the recipe. It may be useful to start another thread and ask as well so you get more replies.

Just tasted a wheat beer I made from a kit and added hops (Nelson Sauvin). Smells and taste like smokey bacon. Bloody good :)

Nice! What was the kit?
When you made the beer, did you boil hops as well?

Morgan's Golden Sheaf Wheat Beer. I put hops in a tea cup with boiling water for 10 minutes. Put water and hops into wort.

Back