Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmac2472

Reaction score
A dry hopping done in the primary or secondary? Is it put into the fermenter or poured over
Thanks for the suggestions.

Usually it is in the secondary. I put the hops into a bag and stuffed it through the carboy top and racked onto it. The bag floated, so it is common to put some sanitized marbles or a sanitized stainless steel fitting into the bag to weigh it down. I used whole flower hops, if you are using pellets I think you'd need something finer than the bag I used.

You can dry hop in the primary or the secondary. I usually dry hop in a secondary vessel (which is about the only time I use a secondary). I use pellets hops and just dump them on top of the beer once I've transfered. If the pellets haven't sunk to the bottom after a week (when I'm ready to rack to a keg), I'll put the carboy into the fridge for a few days and they drop right out.

I dryhop in primary. Put the hops in a weighted bag(s) made of the same material I made my BIAB bag from. A sanitized string attached to the bag so it's submerged halfway in the beer.

I dry hop in the primary with pellets. No bag but sometimes a hop ball (only if I'm using a small amount of dry hops). When I don't use a hop ball, I put a strainer bag over the output side of the racking hose in my kegs to catch any hop pieces. I just pull the strainer bag out of the filled keg and carbonate. I tried filtering the auto siphon inlet but found that I sometimes drew in air when the bag got clogged.

jmac2472 said:
A dry hopping done in the primary or secondary? Is it put into the fermenter or poured over
Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks, they're whole leaf hops and I think I'll try the hop bag in the secondary.

jmac2472 said:
Thanks, they're whole leaf hops and I think I'll try the hop bag in the secondary.

Be aware that if you put whole leaf in a bag in a Carboy the hops will swell up a lot and you will have difficulty pulling that bag back out when done!

duboman said:
Be aware that if you put whole leaf in a bag in a Carboy the hops will swell up a lot and you will have difficulty pulling that bag back out when done!

I've been dry hopping for a week or two in a bucket. This helps with swelling hops. I've ripped a bag once trying to get hops out if a carboy and struggled for almost an hour trying to get the hops out if another bag. I will always dry hop in a bucket. Make clean up much easier. Also you can transfer to a carboy after dry hopping to clean it up and cold crash, if you can.

clickingwires said:
I've been dry hopping for a week or two in a bucket. This helps with swelling hops. I've ripped a bag once trying to get hops out if a carboy and struggled for almost an hour trying to get the hops out if another bag. I will always dry hop in a bucket. Make clean up much easier. Also you can transfer to a carboy after dry hopping to clean it up and cold crash, if you can.

+1 on this. Dry hopping in a bucket is so much easier.

Back