Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreshZ

Reaction score
I'm going to try dry hopping and racking to secondary this weekend. I've never done it, so should be a learning experience. Heres my question. I have an American IPA partial mash 5 gallon batch. I had 1 oz of Columbus pellets at 60, 1 oz Cascade pellets at 15, and 1 oz cascade pellets at 5. I currently have

2 oz Chinook
1 oz Cascade
1 oz Citra
1 oz Centennial
1 oz "Magic Hop Dust" - not sure what this should be used for. Probably not buttering cause it's about 7.0 AA. Anybody used this?

What should I dry hop with??

As someone about to try hop as well, should I put the hops in every few days or all at once? I'll be secondarying in a 5 gallon carboy, so I'm thinking of not using a bag. Alternatively, I could rack into an empty keg and float a bag of hops in there. Thoughts?

As someone about to try hop as well, should I put the hops in every few days or all at once? I'll be secondarying in a 5 gallon carboy, so I'm thinking of not using a bag. Alternatively, I could rack into an empty keg and float a bag of hops in there. Thoughts?

I just dump them in all at once and I never use a bag, I just toss them in. Heck, I don't even use a secondary, just dump them in the primary and let it sit for a week.

Wobbegong said:
If it was my beer, Id put 1 oz. of Cascade and 1oz. of Centennial in there.

Ok sounds good.

Side note, anybody know what to with hop dust? It was only $.69, but I figured I could use it for something. Any thoughts?

TTB-J said:
I just dump them in all at once and I never use a bag, I just toss them in. Heck, I don't even use a secondary, just dump them in the primary and let it sit for a week.

Going to do the same this week anticipating bottling 4-6 days after. Does it matter if they are pellet hops that i'm dumping in primary, bag free?

Thanks !

Side note, anybody know what to with hop dust? It was only $.69, but I figured I could use it for something. Any thoughts?

It's a specialty product that AHS puts out on occasion. They are basically repackaging left-over hop remnants, usually from a combination of different hops. People have used it as a flavor/aroma hop with good results, you just don't know the varietals.

Is it normal for all the hops to sit on top like a krausen? They weren't all on top when I racked but they are now.

Is it normal for all the hops to sit on top like a krausen? They weren't all on top when I racked but they are now.

Yes - they will eventually become saturated with beer, break down, and fall to the bottom. For the first few days, they lay across the top like that as a sort of green krausen. Should have a completely clear top layer of beer in about a week.

Going to do the same this week anticipating bottling 4-6 days after. Does it matter if they are pellet hops that i'm dumping in primary, bag free?

Thanks !

Nope, I've used both leaf and pellet with no bag - both end up falling out to the bottom of the fermenter after about a week.

Back