Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave1984

Reaction score
So my last batch was NBs' extract extra pale ale and I dry hopped with an ounce of Cascade but tasting it now after being bottled 2 weeks it doesn't seem all that noticeable(was dry hopped for a week). Is there a point where the amount of dry hops you add stop mattering? Would 4 oz give similar results as 6-8 oz.? Having brewed NB sierra madre and extra pale ale I think they taste the same and tongue splitter ipa in the fermenter now I'm hoping my results aren't going to be the same as the last two.

Obviously dry hopping does have diminishing returns at some point because as you get more and more of that hop aroma in your finished beer, the less and less noticeable the increase is going to be. I generally use 2 ounces or so in most of my dry hopped beers for 5 gallons, and it gives a nice hop aroma that isn't too over-powering.

You can play with a ton of factors when dry hopping and obviously increasing the amount of hops used is definitely one of them. You also can try and dry hop the beer for a little bit longer to extract more hop aroma, but be careful because too long can lead to an overly "grassy" flavor. Also make sure that primary fermentation is nearly complete before dry hopping, because if you add them too early the off gassing of CO2 from the yeast will carry off all those wonderful, delicate hop aromas you are looking for.

I dry hopped an IPA with the same amount of Cascade (2 weeks) in secondary and it turned out great. Do some experiments with keeping the hops in longer for a more pronounced hop character/aroma. Try 2 weeks with your next brew. It should turn out nicely.

I never dry hop till I have a stable FG 1st. Off gassing may carry off aromas,but also settling yeast. The hop oils tend to coat the yeast cells,settling to the bottom with them. That's why it's best to at least wait till you have a stable FG. Or,as I always preach,give it 3-5 days to clean up & settle out more before dry hopping to get the maximum benefit from the amount used. With my IPA,I used 4.5oz of 3 hops as late additions. Then 1.5 oz of remanis of all 3 as a one week dry hop in this fashion.
Wow,did that smell heavenly! Try it this way,it gets more hops into the beer.

Latest posts

Back