Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davida

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a new home brewer looking for some advice on dry hopping. I recently (yesterday) racked my first IPA to a secondary fermenter to dry hop. The FG is on the money. How long should it stay in the secondary before bottling?

I dry hop for 14 days and bottle. IMO, you probably extract all of the aroma from the hops after 7 days, but I let it go to 14 to be safe.

I think all beer is better if it bulk ages 3 weeks minimum. If your starting gravity is higher than 1.060, I would go longer if you have the patience. I'd start the dry hop 5-7 days before bottling. So, if you are 7 days in, want to bulk age 28 days, then add dry hops on day 23.

I think pellets dry hop better because they completely dissolve, where whole hops tend to float and are not completely submerged until they sink a few days later. But I think 7+ days pellets or whole is fine.

I did the primary for 7 days then racked to the secondary and added the dry hops. I am planning to bottle it soon and let it finish conditioning in the bottles. However, the beer is very cloudy right now. Should I just let it sit until it clears? Will leaving it in with the dry hops for an extended period cause any off flavors?

i have done a 14 day with the recipe i have in secondary now. i am going to do a side by side comparison of a 7 to 14 day time line to see if there is a difference.

Latest posts

Back