Dry hopping to mask DMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davrosh

Reaction score
I know there is no way to completely 'fix' a DMS problem in a beer, but would a relatively high amount of dry hopping help to mask the sweetcorn/vegetal taste and aroma a bit? Anyone any experience of this? My logic tells me it should help a bit, but my logic isn't always that logical. I have already actually dry hopped it today with 35g goldings, as it seems to have pretty much reached its fg. I'm considering chucking more in if the general concerns us is that it would help.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

It's unlikely but you already did it so package it when ready and let it condition for some time.

You are sure it is DMS? If it is you can't do much about it... save it and blend it with a Stout maybe.

You were pretty clear about the sweetcorn/vegetal taste SWEEET CORN??? maybe Diacetyl...

Diacetyl Fix maybe by letting it sit somewhere at around room temp for a few days.

BUT:

What kind of beer was it?

What did you do to increase the DMS levels?

• Cover the BK during the boil?
  • Cooled the wort Slowly?

I'm fairly certain it's DMS. Having said that I could be wrong. What makes me almost certain (besides the taste and smell, along with the hit of sulphur I got from opening the lid for the first time) is that because of my set up I break almost every preventative rule in the book; I boil on a glass top electric stove, so the only way to maintain anything near a rolling boil is to partially cover the lid for a large percentage of the boil. I also don't have a cooler so I dump my fermenter into a bath of cold water, which usually does the job, but this time it took a bit longer.

It's a pale ale made with Maris otter and a bit torrified wheat, and has had a bit of a diacetyl rest - krausen dropped on Saturday (after fermenting from thursday at about 19c) and it's been sat since then at a pretty regular 21/22c. Maybe it needs a bit longer.

I don't think there's owt nasty going on in there as it all looks pretty healthy, and the taste and smell isn't terrible, it's just not quite right.

Anyway. I planned to dry hop anyway, so on top of the 35g goldings I chucked in yesterday, I threw an extra 25g in today. I'm into hoppy pales anyways so that can't harm.

I suppose I'll have to just see what happens now.

Cheers anyways.

Back