Dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chomp

Reaction score
So I am in a dilemma, I have been fermenting in 5 gal corny kegs and I am on a tight schedule. The problem is that I need to add dry hops tonight and I forgot to pick up bags, and the brewshop is closed at this point. I will be adding 1 oz of sorachi ace pellets and 4 oz of leaf green tea. Anyone have any suggestions for something I could pickup from a grocery store or meijers to to contain the hops and tea? I considered just dumping them in the keg but don't want it to clog when I transfer to the serving keg.

The only thing that comes to mind is 1 gallon paint strainer bags from Home Depot. Probably a bit big for the application, but that the smallest size I've seen. It's also the most fine mesh of any publicly available bag of which I'm aware. It may not keep all of the sediment out of the keg, but it should hopefully keep most of it if not jostled too much.

I've just made my first IPA and dry hopped a week ago today. Question is should I rack whats in the secondary to the bottling bucket and bottle or rack to a different carboy to allow to clarify out the sediment then to the bottling bucket and bottle.

Back