Dry hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyxator

Reaction score
I recently made a beer that I dry hopped, but I don't think I got quite the hop flavor I was looking for. I'm a big fan of Stone IPA, and I love the citrusy hop flavor.

I used Cascade hops mostly for my recent beer, and I also used some Chinook, which is where I might have gone wrong. I'm terrible at describing flavors, but it just didn't have a fresh hop taste or aroma to it.

What types of hops do you use for dry-hopping and why?

Also, what types of hops should I use to make beer with a similar hop profile as Stone IPA?

Google is your friend!

Stone's IPA web page sayeth Magnum, Centennial and Ahtanum. I'm not sure when the additions should take place, but you have the varieties at least.

I used Sorachi Ace recently for a late-addition flavor/aroma hop, and the beer is intensely grapefruity. I like cascade and EKG, even simcoe.

You're pretty close with the hops. Stone uses a lot of chinook and centennial, which is very similar to cascade, just more AA%. The trick with IPA's is to stuff a ton of hops within the last 15 minutes, say maybe up to 2 ounces at 15 and another at 5. That will get you the hop flavor. The aroma comes from non-boiled additions, like at flameout and dry hopping. Use the chinook for bittering and then go with a bunch of centennial/cascade/amarillo or something similar at the end.

Evan! said:
Google is your friend!

Stone's IPA web page sayeth Magnum, Centennial and Ahtanum. I'm not sure when the additions should take place, but you have the varieties at least.

They also mention they dry hop for 2 weeks, but again, not the variety of hop they use for dry hopping (hence the quesiton). I'm guessing Centennial for their dry hop and I would think the Magnum was bittering, not sure about the Ahtanum.

Just to clarify I dry hopped with 1 oz of Cascade, 1 oz Chinook in primary, and 1 oz Cascade, 1 oz of Centennial in secondary, and something was off.

I haven't used Simcoe for anything yet. I'll have to give that one a try at some point.

simcoe is nice and citrusy. If you wanna get the sense of it, try Weyerbacher's Simcoe IPA. It's ALL simcoe!

Back