Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abedrinkin

Reaction score
Dry hopping for the first time so naturally I have a few questions. Should I hop simply by dropping the pellets in for the last 7 days or should I sanitize a hop bag and a weight to out the hops in and drop to the bottom of the car boy? Also, any suggestions for specific hops? I was leaning cascade. I used Columbus over 3 intervals in the boil. Thanks in advance, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

You can just drop the pellets right in. If you have the ability to drop the temp it will help the hop mass drop to the bottom. I put mine in the utility sink with ice water after 2 days of dry hopping and give the carboy a gentle spin to help the drop out. Cascade is a great dry hop but if you did all columbus you could also dry hop with them as well.

Thank you all, I'm really looking forward to this one. If I cold crash what temp should I bring it down to and for how long?

Fridge if you can. Im shure a cold basement floor would be ok. I just do it till the pellot flakes drop to the bottem only took me a day the few times I did it. I did it just to make siphoning easy although the cold seems to slow siphoning some but thats insignificant.

Depending on how much you are intending on dry hopping with you could do either. I prefer not to lose a lot of beer in the trub so I often use a paint strainer bag. I tie it shut with Saran Wrap and suspend it in the carboy by jamming it between the neck and the stopper. It is somewhat difficult to get out. (you might also be worried about the liquid dripping back causing oxidation.) I weigh it down with a couple of marbles.

I dry hop often and all the above are good advice. My method involves a dinner knife and a hop bag. Boil both. Add hops to bag and tie knife to it. Drop it into your secondary, then transfer onto it. Minimum 7 days, I prefer 14.

For small 1 ounce dry bop bills i have just dropped the pellets in, but for the larger 4ozish bills, I use a 1 gallon paint strainee bag fron Lowes and weigh it down with something clean.

Back