Dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beno1

Reaction score
Ok ive just put into the fermenter the following
1 can coopers lager
1kg of coopers brew enhancer 2
200g of dextrose
Filled to 23 litres
Pitched saflager s23 yeas at 21 degrees celcius.
Then put fermenter in fridge set to 14 degrees celcius.
Now my question is i have 20 g of hallertau hops which i want to dry hop. Im going to transfer the beer to a secondary about when fermention has finished and then chuck the jops in the secondary . How long do i leave the hops in for?? And also can i drop the temp down to 2 degrees celcius for 3 weeks when i put the hops in?? I dont want to add to much bitterness more so aroma and flavour.

That's going to be a real session beer, coming out around 4% abv. Was that what you were going for? If not next time add another 300-500gm light DME, or only fill it up to a more American-like 19 litres (5 gallons). That'll get you to 5%.

As for dry hopping do it at the higher temperatures, once primary fermentation is complete (or nearly so), and leave it for 3-5 days before racking to your secondary and then lagering.

So should i put the hops in the fermenter a couple of days befote its done? Then leave in fermenter for anouther week then transfer beer to secodary and cold crash it for 3 weeks?

The Cooper's cans are typically intended for a total volume of 23L,or 6.072 USG. Less water will make it a bit stronger,but not much. Dropping the temp at dry hopping time might cause the yeast to go dormant & settle out. Need a little to carbonate with. Dry hopping for 7 days is the norm.

The Cooper's cans are typically intended for a total volume of 23L,or 6.072 USG. Less water will make it a bit stronger,but not much. Dropping the temp at dry hopping time might cause the yeast to go dormant & settle out. Need a little to carbonate with. Dry hopping for 7 days is the norm.

Agreed on the 23 litres, but using less water will make a significant difference. As I said, using 19 litres (5 gallons) instead of 23 will take the abv% from 4 up to 5, i.e. a 25% increase. It will also increase the final IBU's which can be a bonus.

It's actually about 5.16 USG,but yeah ABV & IBU's go up slightly,but not as much as one would think by taking out nearly a gallon of water. I just like to make folks aware of that difference,since most kits are 5G,but the Cooper's & Munton's aren't.

We're picking at straws here, but isn't 19 litres equal to 5.01 US gallons? Or maybe Google isn't my friend? :)

add the hops for the last 3-5 days the beer will be in a fermenter before you bottle/keg it. Aroma is what you're getting from dry-hops and that fades over time. I find 3-5 days is ideal for dry-hopping. You can do this in the primary if you wish and just cold-crash it.

So should i put the hops in the fermenter a couple of days befote its done? Then leave in fermenter for anouther week then transfer beer to secodary and cold crash it for 3 weeks?
no.

let the beer finish fermenting in primary, then rack to secondary, lager the beer (store cold) for several weeks, and a week before you keg/bottle add the dry hops to the secondary.

Latest posts

Back