Dry hopping IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfoolz

Reaction score
I have done a partial mash extract IPA and have fermented it successfully. OG was 1.070 and FG was 1.010. Somewhere around a 7.8% ABV. I tasted the beer after it reached FG and it does not have any hop flavor or aroma! The hop bill was 2oz centennial at 40 min, 1.5 oz at 20 min and 2oz of Kent Goldings at 5 mins. After reaching FG I put 2oz cascade loose hops in the fermenter to dry hop, opened the lid on the bucket after 1st day and it smelle great, however after tasting it still has no hop flavor or aroma. Have tried it every night for last three nights and the same story. Tonight I put 1.5 cascade in a bag with a glass in it and dropped it in, however the bag is floating near the top and did not sink like I thought it would. Anyone have ideas as to why I am not getting the hop flavor and aroma?

what is the batch size? how many IBUs did you get out of it? what other flavors are you getting out of it if no hop flavor? if it's more of a malty flavor, then you just don't have enough hops to balance it out. you can still get some flavor out of the dry hop, but mostly the flavor from the ipas is extracted at higher temps. typically you want to dry hop between 5-7 days. otherwise you could possibly start getting some off flavors. also i believe that once it's carbed up, the aroma will be more pronounced. how long's it been now since you did the first round of dry hops? if it's been much longer than 7 I would go ahead and bottle/keg the beer. condition it for a couple of weeks.

Well, 1st of all, that 40 minute addition would be more bittering than flavor. I do flavor additions from no more than 20-25 minutes down to 8 minutes, 30 seconds. But that depends on how many different hops I'm adding & which ones I want to taste more than others. I've done aroma additions at 3 minutes that worked pretty well. But If I use, say, 4 different hops at 1.2ozs each in the boil from 20 down to 10 minutes or so, I'll use the remaining .8oz of each in a 7 day dry hop.

Back