Dry Hopping in a Sanke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelale

Reaction score
Not much information on the process. I'm using one of Derrin's kits for the sanke fermenter. I plan on harvesting yeast with CO2 and then dry-hopping with 6 or so ounces of pellets. I would really like to transfer the finished beer under pressure, but I can't see that happening without a filter of some sort. Anybody ever do this?

I have done it with the same setup. Only pellets though, if I am going to dry hop with leaf it goes in bags and in the serving kegs.

I just did this last night. I also use Derrin's sanke fermenter top and I cold crash in the sanke. I was previously dry hopping in my serving kegs and this is the first time I just dumped into the fermenter. I'll keep it at 66 for the dry hop duration and then drop to 36 for my cold crash. Like mb2696 said, it should just drop out. I'll keg this weekend and see how it comes out.

I have no means to cold crash a sanke. I might just rack to the kegs with a push of CO2 and a filter bag over the tubing.

I've done it plenty of times as well, with a Sanke and Derrin's kit. I transfer under pressure as well. I do use gelatin and a cold crash prior to transfer [usually], but sometimes skip both steps.

I've never had a clog or any other ill effects. If you can't cold crash, I'd definitely suggest a little gelatin in the keg, so that you can be sure it'll drop clear by the time you start serving.

JonW said:
I just did this last night. I also use Derrin's sanke fermenter top and I cold crash in the sanke. I was previously dry hopping in my serving kegs and this is the first time I just dumped into the fermenter. I'll keep it at 66 for the dry hop duration and then drop to 36 for my cold crash. Like mb2696 said, it should just drop out. I'll keg this weekend and see how it comes out.

I got several sanke fermenters, not familiar with the "Derrin" sanke fermenter top, can you provide more details?

I've done it plenty of times as well, with a Sanke and Derrin's kit. I transfer under pressure as well. I do use gelatin and a cold crash prior to transfer [usually], but sometimes skip both steps.

I've never had a clog or any other ill effects. If you can't cold crash, I'd definitely suggest a little gelatin in the keg, so that you can be sure it'll drop clear by the time you start serving.

Do you raise the racking cane a bit in your derrin setup? I have mine pretty close to the bottom of the keg.

Thanks.

I got several sanke fermenters, not familiar with the "Derrin" sanke fermenter top, can you provide more details?

http://www.brewershardware.com/Sanke-Fermenter-Kits/

I've got the one with the thermowell.

Dgonza9 said:
Do you raise the racking cane a bit in your derrin setup? I have mine pretty close to the bottom of the keg.

I raise it for the first keg, and then when I start filling the second, I slowly start dropping the racking cane level until just above the point where I pick up sediment.

I'm a little confused, and maybe I was a little confusing in my explanation.

I thought cold-crashing and/or gelatin was to remove suspended proteins and yeast. I didn't think it was for hop particles.

Also, what I meant by transfering under pressure was to pressurize the receiving corny keg and the sanke, then bleed the pressure off the corny until the beer starts flowing. Is that how you guys are doing it?

I can easily rack with C02, but I wanted to eliminate any O2 contact by keeping everything under C02 pressure.

I thought cold-crashing and/or gelatin was to remove suspended proteins and yeast. I didn't think it was for hop particles.

It works for hop particles as well. You're precipitating all manner of solids, including hop particles.

Also, what I meant by transfering under pressure was to pressurize the receiving corny keg and the sanke, then bleed the pressure off the corny until the beer starts flowing. Is that how you guys are doing it?

My blowoff tube is fitted with a barbed MPT fitting to mate to the output of my CO2 tank. I actively *push* the beer out of the Sanke fermenter by applying CO2 pressure into the Sanke using that fitting, rather than "pulling" it through a siphon. You've got enough of a seal to get 5 psi or so, which is all you need to push the beer.

I keep my Sanke in one place from the time I start fermenting until the time I keg. It's not high enough to rely on a siphon, and I don't want to disturb sediment to move the (already heavy) Sanke. So pushing the beer using CO2 pressure in the Sanke works best for me.

It works for hop particles as well. You're precipitating all manner of solids, including hop particles.

My blowoff tube is fitted with a barbed MPT fitting to mate to the output of my CO2 tank. I actively *push* the beer out of the Sanke fermenter by applying CO2 pressure into the Sanke using that fitting, rather than "pulling" it through a siphon. You've got enough of a seal to get 5 psi or so, which is all you need to push the beer.

I keep my Sanke in one place from the time I start fermenting until the time I keg. It's not high enough to rely on a siphon, and I don't want to disturb sediment to move the (already heavy) Sanke. So pushing the beer using CO2 pressure in the Sanke works best for me.

Got it. I'm gonna go this round with a hop filter on the output end of the racking tube and push it like you describe. I'll transfter everything under positive CO2 pressure on beers that aren't dry hopped. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back