Dry hopping, before or after adding apples.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobby

Reaction score
Good time of the day guys.I want to make a Holliday ale with a mild apple character and dry hop it with Cascade hops along with 5 cinnamon sticks soaked in vodka. Batch is 5 gallons apples 5 lb. 40 gr. hops.
First I want to add frozen apples and rack the beer on.,wait for 5 days then add hops and cinnamon for another 5 days.
Is it right way to do?Any throats are welcome.
Thank u always!

Cobby said:
Good time of the day guys.I want to make a Holliday ale with a mild apple character and dry hop it with Cascade hops along with 5 cinnamon sticks soaked in vodka. Batch is 5 gallons apples 5 lb. 40 gr. hops. First I want to add frozen apples and rack the beer on.,wait for 5 days then add hops and cinnamon for another 5 days. Is it right way to do?Any throats are welcome. Thank u always!

The apples are going to cause secondary fermentation that you will have to wait for to finish before doing anything further and you'll want to rack off prior to the other additions

I can tell you that 5 sticks of cinnamon in a 5 gallon batch is ALOT! I did 3 once and it was still a lot! I'd do 1:)

The dry hops should be the last thing added as their flavor/aroma will fade the fastest so time that with packaging

Thank you!Specially about cinnamon,I've never added cinnamon to the beer before.Thank you again!

duboman said:
The apples are going to cause secondary fermentation that you will have to wait for to finish before doing anything further and you'll want to rack off prior to the other additions I can tell you that 5 sticks of cinnamon in a 5 gallon batch is ALOT! I did 3 once and it was still a lot! I'd do 1:) The dry hops should be the last thing added as their flavor/aroma will fade the fastest so time that with packaging

One more question please.What is the best way to add cinnamon sticks? In strainer bag?Crushed?
Thank you.

One more question please.What is the best way to add cinnamon sticks? In strainer bag?Crushed?
Thank you.

Just soak them in vodka a bit and toss them in. I'm not even really sure the vodka is necessary but it wouldn't hurt.

****Agreed on the cinnamon sticks!!!
I would start with 1/2 cinnamon stick and let it soak for 3 or 4 days before you decide to add more, I added 2 sticks to a hard cider (5 gallons) and it over powered everything.
Add a little, let soak, taste and then decide to add more.

Back