Dry hopped doppelbock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paraordnance

Reaction score
I really want to try to dry hop my doppelbock. I brew it 3 months ago for my coming up birthday party and overshoot SG a little. Ended up with 8.5% ABV beverage and would really like to try dry hopping it. I sampled Coney Island Sword Swallower (7.2% lager) which is dry hopped with Cascade, Crystal & Amarillo. I have some citra, summit, amarillo, simcoe, centenial and selection of noble hops.
I don't want too much hop presence, just enough to smooth out alcohol burn, may be use mix of 4 hops 0.25 oz each for no more than 1 oz in total.

Did anybody dry hopped doppelbock before or I'm just crazy? :)

That is pretty much completely out of style. However, there is nothing that should stop you from trying this out if you think it will turn out well though.

If it's beckoning you, go for it.

I realize it will be completelly out of style. I'm not entering this beer in comp I just want to make it appealing to my BMC loving friends :D (will also serve Kolsch and APA during event) Its rough as is at 8.5% ABV so I figured some dry hopping will offset harsh alcohol bite.
I just checked my notes and it was brewed on May 12, 2011 planning to serve it on my birthday coming mid September. Its been lagering since June 9
I know dry hopping lager is never a good idea but I tried some nice examples before, Coney island Sword Swallower being one of them which I though was nice

12 lbs Pilsner
4 lbs Munich
1 lbs Crystal 45
0.5 oz Magnum - 60 min
1 oz Hallertauer - 30 min
Bavarian Lager 2206
28 IBUs

Since your grainbill is pretty pale and pils-heavy, you could probably call it a Double Maibock, and dry hops would be reasonably welcome. Sword Swallower and SN 30th Anniversary Bock are two of my favorites, both with tons of hoppy nose. My Vienna/Spalt SMaSH lager was 8.2% and would have been nice with a little dry-hop, since it would have been very similar to the SN Bock.

I realize it will be completelly out of style. I'm not entering this beer in comp I just want to make it appealing to my BMC loving friends :D (will also serve Kolsch and APA during event) Its rough as is at 8.5% ABV so I figured some dry hopping will offset harsh alcohol bite.

If a doppelbock is properly made there won't be any alcohol bite. As has been said above go for it if you want, the beer police won't be knocking on your door at 1 AM. However, besides being out of style I believe it will conflict with what should be the malt flavor & aroma emphasis of the beer. A small mid/late hop addition @ 20 minutes would be preferable IMO.

I have only dry hopped one doppelbock, but it was a HUGE doppelbock/trippelbock that finished at 1.030 with a sweet caramel finish. I dry hopped it with cascade to balance the sweetness and it came out fantastic. Absolutely loved it! But that is really the opposite of your issue here. BTW, I did call it Hoppelbock.

I have an 8.5% malty monster like that which turned out excellent for a doppelbock but since I wanted something new I am dryhopping it with 1oz of ahtanum and 1oz of NZ Pacific Hallertau. I heard the NZ has a pronounced citrusy almost orange creamsicle taste so we'll see how it goes. I'm tapping it this coming weekend for a holiday party so I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
mfs

Back