dry hop time-techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwcasolo

Reaction score
for that finishing dry hop step, do you just drop em in, or put them in a mesh bag and soak the hops. i have tried both, bud hops, dropped in, really made a mess pumping, great hop taste though, or pellet in a bag, not hoppy at end of 7 day dry hop.

Whole hops in a bag is my preference. Especially if you're kegging and dry hopping in a keg. Though I hate hoppy beers so what the hell do I know...

I usually let whole hops swim free and use a paint strainer bag over my racking cane when I bottle. Pellet hops I place in a weighted paint strainer bag.

What do you weight it with? I don't know if anything but stainless steel would make me happy about being in the beer, maybe a ball-bearing?

I usually let whole hops swim free and use a paint strainer bag over my racking cane when I bottle. Pellet hops I place in a weighted paint strainer bag.

I use a mesh bag from the LHBS that i got for steeping grains when i do extract brews. I weight the bag with a chunk of SS rod that i have from another project. I've also used a handful of glass marbles. I usually leave em in the keg for 2 weeks. Gives a nice hoppy aroma and flavor.

If you're going to use marbles make sure you're getting lead free marbles. Most of them contain lead in the glass. Just double check to be sure. Otherwise... marble away.

I use whatever I have, pellets or cones. It doesn't seem to matter much to me. I don't bag them, but I'm very proficient with racking as an old winemaker.

Marchborne said:
What do you weight it with? I don't know if anything but stainless steel would make me happy about being in the beer, maybe a ball-bearing?

I use stainless steel bolts, anywhere from2-4 depending on the weight of the hops

This.

WHen I did the bag, I racked my brain for something stainless that was clean enough to throw into my beer... then I just grabbed a spoon outta the silverware drawer (sanitized of course.)

I just kegged my first batch using dry hop addition to my carboy. I just chucked the pellets in. I was not sure what to do when I kegged it, other than try carefully not to stir things up during siphoning to keg. I ended up with hop particles floating around. Not ideal, but it still tastes great. I was really surprised hop much hop flavor I got. using some bag for the hops sounds like a good plan.

I use pellets in a paint strainer bag. I used to go 7 days but recently cut back to 5 after noticing a slight grassiness to one of my IPA's. The aroma is still just as strong at 5 days; it really punches you in the face.

OP, consider using more hops to achieve your desired pungency.

I just toss the hops into the secondary fermenter (whether they be pellets or whole) then rack the beer on top of them. I feel that doing it this way allows much more hop surface area to be in contact with my beer. 7-10 days is about right for me, then I slide a sanitized paint strainer bag over my auto-siphon to catch the crud on its way to the keg or bottling bucket. Simple!

Latest posts

Back