Dry hop schedule with cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
My IPA recipe calls for two separate dry hoppings of 3-4 days each. I would also like to cold crash the beer before bottling. It's been in the primary for about 5 days now. At 14 days I am planning on moving it to secondary. Then I plan to pour in the first dry hops and leave them for 3 days, then pour in the second dry hops for another three 3 days, then cold crash for 3 days.

Does this sound like an okay plan? The first set of dry hops will be in the beer for 9 days total, is that an issue?

The great thing about dry hopping, is that you can do it anyway you want. I usually dry hop 2 oz for a single IPA for a week, and it turns out great. Some people like to dry hop for 2 days, 2 weeks, etc. I've noticed after 2 weeks, you tend to get grassy/earthy flavors though. 9 days is perfectly fine!

I agree with Weizer although I would leave in primary for an extra week to help finish things a bit.

I think you should cold crash prior to racking to secondary. Yeast attaches itself to hop oils. When you cold crash, your yeasties will be robbing your hop aroma and flavor.

I think you should cold crash prior to racking to secondary. Yeast attaches itself to hop oils. When you cold crash, your yeasties will be robbing your hop aroma and flavor.

I suppose I could do that. I was thinking that allowing more yeast to be around in the secondary would help them to clean up better.

Ok thanks for the tips. I'll leave it in the primary for around three weeks, then cold crash before moving to secondary, dry hop in secondary, then cold crash again, then bottle.

I'm using WLP002 english ale yeast which is supposed to work very fast, so I thought two weeks in the primary would be sufficient.

Back