Dry hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemonster

Reaction score
I'm doing an ipa I want to dry hop. But I just have 6 gallon bubblers. No five gallon carboys. So would it be a big deal to transfer to another 6 gallon carboy, or should I dry hop in primary. If I dry Hop in primary what kind of time line am I looking for? Am I waiting for activity to calm down a bit. And do I just drop pellets. Or use a bag weighted with some marbles? Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It is fine to dry hop in primary. Wait until the main fermentation has subsided and then dry hop. If you dry hop while fermentation is going strong, the co2 may scrub out much of the aroma that you are looking for. I always do mine in a muslin sack with a few sanitized marbles. And about a week or so is good.

There is no one right answer to these questions. Personally for ease I would recommend to dry hop in primary. Your co2 blanket is protected that way. If you rack to a secondary you need to minimize the headspace. I would just drop pellets into the carboy once fermentation is done and let it go approximately a week.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

I would stick with the primary and I'm sure others will say the same thing. As far as timeline you definitely want to make sure the fermentation is complete or nearly so. If you add too early you will lose some of the aroma. So probably 10-14 days in would be a good time to dry hop. Either method will work for adding them but a weighted bag will keep additional sediment out of the beer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I typically dry hop in the primary for 5 to 7 days. The only issue with just dumping them in the fermenter is that you probably lose a little beer with increased sediment, but you probably get a better infusion of the hop oils by not having them in a bag. I have done both and they work work fine.

Thanks guys...will drop the hops in a bag, when fermentation is just a bout done

Latest posts

Back