Dry hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim1966

Reaction score
I racked my IPA to secondary last week and added 5 oz of pellet hops to it. I want to bottle it tomorrow(Sunday) but there are still a lot of the hops on top of the beer. Should I rack the beer tonight to another carboy before I bottle tomorrow to make sure I don't' transfer hops to the bottling bucket, or just try to be careful when I transfer to the bucket. The beer is for a competition next month so I need to get it bottled soon. Thanks for any advice.

I just did this same thing to an IPA for a competition. What I did was take a mesh bag and tie it with floss to the end of the racking cane and siphon it out to a secondary. Which made it avoid about 95% of the pellet sludge. once in the secondary I used a funnel with a fine mesh filter to get the other 5%. It worked well. While you might not have the funnel with the fine mesh I would definitely do the mesh bag on the racking cane to eliminate most of the sludge. Good Luck on the competition!!!

I'd rack it to another vessel especially for a competition

If you have access to a larger refrigerator that you can fit the carboy in, I would cold crash if for a day or so. If you don't have a open fridge, you can put it in a basin tub or a bath tub with cold water and ice. You could even freeze a couple bottles of water to reuse for next beers too. You don't want to get it so cold that it freezes the beer just cold enough that all of the sediment drops to the bottom. That will work better than racking to another carboy.

Latest posts

Back