Dry Hop or Not...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
While impatiently watching my Baltic Porter bubbling away in primary I decided to do a quick inventory of my supplies. Much to my chagrin, I found a one-ounce bag of Perle hops, which I'd somehow failed to use during the boil.

The list from the kit inventory is:

* 2 oz. Perle (60 min)
* 0.5 oz. Mt. Hood (15 min)
* 0.5 oz. Mt. Hood (5 min)

I ostensibly used one ounce of the Perle and rudely ignored the other.

Do you think it will make much difference? Should I use them to dry hop? Do nothing? Continue sulking? Hope for the best? Thanks.

Well you can go ahead and continue sulking if you want to... Or you can RDWHAHB. Worrying is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do but ultimately gets you nowhere.

You're going to have a much lighter hop taste which shouldn't be a problem with a Porter as it supposed to be maltier. If you dry hop it will do nothing for the hop flavor... flavor extraction occurs during the boil. Dry hopping will only result in more hop aroma (though it wouldn't be too bad.)

Either save the hops for a later batch or dump them in for some aroma. Your call ^_^

I don't really think of Perle as a dry hop but even so it will not be anywhere near the same taste as it would have if added at 60 minutes for bittering. I'd probably let it ride at this point and save them for another recipe.

+1 on hop tea.
Dry hoping gives only aroma, no IBUs. You also might want to try isomerised hop concentrate, byt these are hard to buy.

Real simple: boil the hops in a quart or two of water for 60 minutes. Cool & add to fermenter. You could use some of the wort, if you are concerned about diluting the flavor, but you'd lose any alcohol that is in the wort.

Let it be. Compounding mistakes is what gets you into more trouble. I won't go into it but tinkered myself into needless extra work yesterday.

It will be fine, slightly less bitter.

IDK... if he forgot half of the bittering hops, leaving it be may result in an overly malty beer. Its one thing if you forget an ounce of aroma, but bittering is pretty damn important.

So among my possible results:
1. I add the hop tea and it causes more problems.
2. I add the hop tea and it at least partly corrects my mistake, adding necessary bitterness.
3. I leave it and it's not bitter enough.
4. I leave it and it's fine.

Right now I'm inclined to leave it, but for a Baltic Porter, do you think it will make a big difference? That is, would this beer be okay a little less bitter/more malty?

(It's been in the primary for about two weeks and is now bubbling about twice a minute. Not sure if this matters for the hop tea addition or not.)

I vote leave it alone. So you get a maltier porter, big whoop. It's not like you forgot half your bittering hops in an IPA.

Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to drop the hops, put your hands in the air and slowly step away from the beer :D

Back