Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azbirazbira

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am joining from Turkey. I've been making whole grain beer for many years. But I see myself at the beginning of the road. Because I have so much to learn. :)
Now I want to ask you about one of them.
I brewed a smash beer from my own grown cascade hops and poured it into the fermenter. Classically, I used us-05 yeast.
But I don't know where it came from, on the 5th day of fermentation, I added about 80 g of leaf hops to the bucket. Just like india beer roads. :)
Today I added a 7th 50g more. And I'm thinking of adding another 25 g in the last 3 days.
Do you think adding hops on day 5 will prevent the yeast from working?
Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Why would you think that adding hops would affect the yeast working?

I thought it might damage the krausen formation. Because the hops were floating on the wort.

Yeast doesn't need to form a krausen to ferment wort. In fact, the yeast that are doing the bulk of the fermentation are not in the krausen.

Yeast doesn't need to form a krausen to ferment wort. In fact, the yeast that are doing the bulk of the fermentation are not in the krausen.
Thank you for this good information. I'll add hops more boldly from now on. 🍻

Back