Dry Hop IPA Cold Crash Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eman24dx

Reaction score
I have a Two Hearted clone which has now been dry hopping for 3 days. I am going on a road trip Friday and want to have it kegged by then. My questions are:

1. Is there any reason to cold crash this beer? Wouldn't it be cloudy anyways? If I do cold crash how and when do I do this while dry hopping?

2. If I go from secondary to keg without cold crashing would 5 days on the hops be enough or would it be better to wait until I return which would be 8 days on the hops?

3. Anyone know if I can buy Bells beer in Columbus, Ohio? Going there for a football game and want to have some to do a side by side. Unfortunately we cannot find Bells beer here in Buffalo.

Thanks as always...

5 days is ideal for dry hopping...I find more than a week hops don't seem as fresh

what I do I is dump my hops in the primary to dry hop...after 3/5 days of dry hopping and cold crash 2/3 days

When dry hopping, I would definitely cold crash before kegging. I made the mistake of not doing that once, jammed up my keg's dip tube and had to depressure the keg, remove the dip tube, and clean it. Then, I poured hop debris for about half the keg. I was using a few ounces for dry hops, but cold crashing is always helpful for clearer beer.

Aroma and clarity are low on my list of necessities. Get me loaded on a great tasting, odorless, cloudy beer, and I'm a happy bear. Carb it up.

yes you can buy bells beer in columbus. you can find two hearted on tap too. Krogers, whole foods, Gentiles (gps> northstar and king ave it's not far form the stadium), and there are plenty of other places too. I just gave away my tickets for that game. Hope the fans treat you well.

As far as the rest of you questions. I would just cold crash it while it is still being dry hopped before you leave and transfer it to a keg when you get back. That's just me. I try not to over think it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Dolomieu: Too bad you gave away your tix, you think it will be fairly easy to scalp some cheap tickets? I usually do for college games (non rivalry) and tend to pay way less than face value. Just never been to OSU.

you should be able to find some pretty easily. I have tickets to another game. As much as i love the Buckeyes, i can only deal with that chaos about once a year these days. I had season tickets from 2002-2004, but i can't deal with the crowds like i use too. Had i seen this post yesterday i would have offered them up to you.

again i hope the fans are nice to you. It can go either way sometimes. It is a great experience though.

Lol, I am actually a Miami fan so if I wore my true colors I wouldn't last too long. Not really a UB fan so I may go as neutral. Just one of the few stadiums I never have been to so going more for the experience...

I appreciate the offer though, always a day late and dollar short...

Back