Dry hop in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Why do so many brewers use a secondary when dry hopping and but not if their beer doesn't call for dry hopping?

I'm confused. Thanks.

ive dry hopped in my primary and to be honest, i wasnt impressed with the results. i think co2 that was in solution or either the yeast but something drove off all the aroma

Harvesting yeast makes sense. Anyone else think the yeast in primary can inhibit the hops? I don't think co2 can affect it. Some dry hop in the keg.

I have dry hopped in the primary and secondary with similar results. I would wait at least a couple weeks if you are adding to primary.

One advantage of adding hops to primary is the yeast's ability to use the oxygen that will be added with the hops. This will promote a longer lasting beer.

Sierra Nevada released a paper recently that found that unique flavor compounds can be created if yeast is actively fermenting while dry hops are added. These flavor compounds were not found by any other process. I can't find a link but it was mentioned on the brewing network.

I dry hop in the primary. I usually wait about 3 weeks and make sure I have hit my FG before adding them though. I feel that I have great results. But everyone has different results. Try it, see how you like it. Or don't.

From what I have read people feel that CO2 being produced will drive off the hop aromas when dry hopping. But long primaries lead to beer that many folks believe is much more clear than if they were to secondary. I wait for fermentation to complete and for the yeast to clean up after themselves abit before I dry hop. They finish cleaning, the dry hops do their business. And I get clear beer that stinks like delicious hops.

I have only dry hopped once, and I did it after all primary activity was over. Seemed to do the trick, but I can't compare it to another brew I've done so...not exactly scientific proof.

I started dry hopping in the primary and won't go back, just helps to simplify the process and take out unnecessary steps that may cause other problems.

Latest posts

Back