Dry hop for euro-like pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatbelt123

Reaction score
Hi, I have a pale ale that I'm really enjoying but I think it would benefit from a slightly bigger aroma and that distinct flavor that you get from dry hopping.

The beer is pretty light, 5% abv. Predicted 50 IBUs but I think it's a bit lower. 90% Moravian pilsner and the rest is crystal. The crystal makes it a tiny but sweet (amplified by the pilsner malt).

Hops:
Bittering and flavor: Galena
Flavor and aroma: Columbus

The hop flavor is mostly spicy, hint of earthyness.

What dry hop would complement this? How much and how many days?

Thanks in advance!

European noble hops or their american derived cousins. Crystal, Liberty, Mt. Hood all come to mind for american noble-esque hops. The european usual suspects would be Hallertau, Tettnanger, Saaz etc. Personally, I would go with the american nobles, specifically crystal. They have the spicy/herbal/floral characteristics (albiet subdued) of their european ancestors and contribute a light citrus character as well. Some of the New Zealand varieties might also fit the bill well from what I understand, though I personally have very little experience with them.

Awesome advice, I'm going to head to the LHBS and see what they have in stock. I'll report back on how it goes. Thanks again!

So I went for something totally different: German Smaragd. Described as "prominently fruity with hoppy and floral tones.". Wow does this smell good. I wanted to put it in a cereal bowl, pour beer on it and eat it.

The owner of Bull City Homebrew (just down the road from me) hasn't had anybody dry hop with it yet and is excited to hear the results. I'll post here too.

Anyway I have 2oz hanging in the keg now. I'll start sampling in a few days. I also put in oz in about 2.5 gals of Kolsch I have.

Anybody else familiar with this hop?

image-265698442.jpg

Back