Dry Hop Experiment-Oregon State University

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buna_Bere

Reaction score
More Aroma Oil, Faster: The Dry Hopster’s Holy Grail

OSU tests IH pellets vs Cones for aroma intensity and oil extraction rates

* A 10 member sensory panel evaluated the intensity of dry hop aroma from Cascade pellets and whole cones and concluded that the pellets provided more intense aroma.

* Beer samples dry hopped for one day had significantly more aroma than beer dry hopped for 7 days.

* Irrespective of form (pellet or whole cone), the concentrations of hydrocarbon terpenes (eg, myrcene, humulene and limonene) peaked between 3 and 6 hours in dry hopped beer and then declined, while the concentrations of terpene alcohols (e.g, linalool and geraniol) continued to increase throughout the 24 hour dry hop extraction.

A few caveats.

First, not all pellets are the same. The pellets used for this study were supplied by us, Indie Hops, and we’ve previously shown that our pellets are different in terms of the average particle size, the diameter and the “bakedness” (our grist is extruded at between 106F and 115F).

We’re gratified to learn that our pellets produced about twice the intensity of aroma than whole cones. That’s huge! The conclusion reinforces what common sense told us: nature designed the hop flower to keep the oils “in”, not let them out, while IH pellets were designed by guys who wanted to get the oil “out.” We deliberately designed our mill to chop up the cone in bigger, coarser particles so that we could open up without pulverizing the oil-exuding lupulin glands.

Second, the rapid extraction rates were likely influenced by the temperature of the solution (23.3C, which may not be representative of real world conditions), and the hops were continually stirred. Although there’s been ongoing anecdotes and discussion about methods for agitating or recirculating/re-entraining hop grist in the tanks, we don’t have a reasonably available tried and true technology for re-suspending hops during dry hopping.

The research suggests, however, that the machinery needed wouldn't be too terribly difficult, and it only need to engage for a few days.

Third, the sensory panel consisted of 10 trained beer geeks who measured the aroma intensity on a scale of 0-15 based on the smell, not taste. To quantify the aroma compounds extracted (e.g., linalool, myrcene, etc), as well as the extraction rates, OSU used all the usual hi-tech stuff.

Link to the full article.

Interesting. Suggests that the "normal" 5-7 day dry hop may not give the most intense aroma. I will have to try on my next iPa.

Did your team also test the hopping duration for five gallon batches and the impact or just the small sample sizes? Were your controls scaled to simulate a full sized batch?

Keep meaning to try Indie Hops' type 90 pellets. The owner came to one of our club meetings last year. Interested in seeing how much difference their lower temp pelletizing affects the final product.

I just found that article online last night when I couldn't sleep. I hadn't seen it posted here yet, but I found it super interesting. It'll be nice when they publish the full paper. I was searching for a powerpoint presentation Vinnie Cilurzo from Russian River gave on dry hopping from the NHC in 2005. If you haven't heard his lecture on dry hopping you should really give it a listen,

here's a link to his lecture from the BN, he starts at 1:45:00 in
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Sunday-Session/The-Sunday-Session-06-26-05-First-Russian-River-Appearance

There's some other intersting stuff on that Indie Hops blog too.

here's a link to the Indie Hops blog,
http://inhoppursuit.blogspot.com/2011/02/variety-uniqueness-consistency.html

Back