Dry Hop Astringency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
Has anyone else ever noticed that a freshly dry-hopped beer has a bad dry astringent finish until the beer has a chance to condition a bit? I'm assuming causation. Perhaps it's just correlation?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

What hop did you use...I only get this when I use Amarillo (I perceive that flavor as astringent where others dont)...same as honey...tastes metallic to me

How long and what hop did you use? A long dry hop could cause some astringency.

Latest was all centennial. Two ounces in the keg. Happens with other combos though.

I should add that hops stayed in for about five days and then removed.

I can't say I've noticed something like that, I've gotten some funky flavors from a very long dry hop (about a month due to surgery) but not from a dry hop that short.

You sure it isn't a carbonic bite from early stages of forced carbonation? My beers are dry hopped before kegging and then a new bag for the life of the keg. Second dry hop doesn't do anything much for a week or so because of the cold, but because I force carb at high pressure I'm always checking my green beer for carb level and of course until it's been stable for a week or so it has a bite to it. My keg hops have only really added nice aroma, never astringent, even with 2 oz of Columbus. Just my .02.

Yeah, I've often noticed a sort of astringency when I dry hop. Whether its 5 days or two weeks. It's almost like a furriness on the tongue. I don't like it and have backed away from dry hopping lately because of it.

I feel its especially noticeable when I dry hop ciders or session meads. Perhaps the dryness and lack of body exacerbates it? Even though dry hopping isn't supposed to lend any bitterness, when I dry hop those meads and ciders its like a bittering effect. I think the idea that it doesn't contribute bitterness is BS. Ever chewed on a hop cone? Its bitter. It doesn't need to be isomerized to get that effect.

I've also noticed some weird grassy astringency after dry hopping. Does dry hopping really have the ability to add significant oxidation flavors? However, after i let the beer sit for a week or so in the keg, i feel like the flavor mellows out. Especially if i don't filter and use fining agents.

I think i'm going to start purging my secondary with co2 before i rack then dry hop. Or filter....

I don't know :drunk:

Back