Dry Alternative for WLP300?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used to use WLP300 for wheat beer. I just started adding up a bill of stuff for a brew, and Morebeer's site started telling me about special ice packs and so on. I don't remember this stuff from the old days, but then I feel good if I can remember my phone number. The site says I should use dry yeast if I don't want to pay for refrigeration. Given that the price of yeast itself appears to have more than doubled, dry yeast seems like a fine idea. Is there anything out there which is basically the same as WLP300?

I notice it is now impossible to order incremental amounts of anything. I can order 10 pounds, I can order 5 pounds, and I can order 1 pound, but I can 't order 8 pounds or 8.5 pounds. Is that how it is at all the brewing sites now?

I don't know of any dry strain that's exactly the same as WLP300. But Lallemand Munich Classic would be the closest. Avoid "Lallemand Munich" (without the "Classic"), as it's not the same thing. (The latter might not be available any longer anyway.)

I've had some success with Lallemand Munich Classic, as well as some misses. The successes have been comparable to WY3068 in terms of yeast-derived flavor. I haven't been able to figure out what makes the difference, though, and hefes are one of the only styles I still use liquid yeasts for.

Back