Drip tray mounting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clanchief

Reaction score
So about 18 months ago I build my keezer from a GE chest freezer. I attached a collar with 2x4 red oak. Since then, i have been trying to come up with a way to attach my drip tray (which is a 19x4 stainless steel tray) so that it looks nice and is easily removable. I don't want to drill into the freezer, and no matter what I've tried with magnets and L brackets, the tray is so heavy I can't seem to keep it up.

I had an idea but need some advice. I was thinking I could mount some sort of flat rod (3 of them) into the collar. They would be screwed in and could lay flat against the freezer. They would ideally then have the L bracket at the bottom which I could then just set the tray on.

Does anyone know of something like that? I'm honestly a little baffled for how to even search for it.

Thanks.

Your flat rod idea would work. Just get some flat stock aluminum from HD and bend it in a vice. Two pieces should be enough.

Shelf brackets that match the color of your keezer, Gorilla Glue Gel, and then attach your drip tray to the brackets using industrial strength velcro. That's worked for me for nearly a year now. I just checked, and unfortunately I don't have a great picture of the drip tray, but I think that's pretty self explanatory.

So about 18 months ago I build my keezer from a GE chest freezer. I attached a collar with 2x4 red oak. Since then, i have been trying to come up with a way to attach my drip tray (which is a 19x4 stainless steel tray) so that it looks nice and is easily removable. I don't want to drill into the freezer, and no matter what I've tried with magnets and L brackets, the tray is so heavy I can't seem to keep it up.

I had an idea but need some advice. I was thinking I could mount some sort of flat rod (3 of them) into the collar. They would be screwed in and could lay flat against the freezer. They would ideally then have the L bracket at the bottom which I could then just set the tray on.

Does anyone know of something like that? I'm honestly a little baffled for how to even search for it.

Thanks.

I used some brackets that I found lying around in the garage (not sure where I got them from) - I pushed them up, in the slot between collar and fridge and they are very secure. A temp solution but works as permanent now. Of course you could mount them more permanently too.

IMG_3881-2.JPG

I use paper towel magnetic holders to support my tray, and magnets to hold it against the paper towel holders on the keezer front. They will support a full glass as well as the tray. Like so:

driptray.jpg

I also use those paper towel holders as hooks I can stick onto metal storage cabinets:

driptraymagnet.jpg

Here's what the box they come in looks like:

papertowelholder.jpg

They cost $6.99 at Menards: http://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...431284585-c-9188.htm?tid=-3401776767565129234 I'm sure other home improvement stores have something similar.

You need some strong magnets to hold the drip tray to the paper towel holders. You can see what I use. There are other options too.

here's how I did mine; I went the L bracket route and made a cut out of wood to take the 19" drip tray. Works great and growlers fit on it.

IMAG1084.jpg

I went a similar approach with building a wood shelf and bolting it to the collar of my keezer. I also wanted it low enough (and strong enough) to handle growler fills. I went with the 19" drip tray you can pick up for $20 or less from a couple different sources (BarSupplies.com, HomeBrewStuff.com). I also added a drain kit (drains into a bottle in the can below the drip tray). Without that, it would have been easily removable. My keezer is down in the basement, with no sink nearby; I didn't want to try and carry a full drip tray upstairs to the kitchen. So it's just easier to dump cleaning solution through the drip tray and let it drain down into the bottle.

20160510_170911.jpg

Back