Drinking my first all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the record I've lived in Illinois, New York, California, New Mexico and Tennessee. I've been from Hawaii to Alaska to Canada to Mexico to Wales and never once read a dictionary that specified, or heard someone say "versatile" with the usage that you claim to be correct.
Please keep reading, it will keep you out of society. :mug:

By chance are you an engineer?

Time does not affect the versatility of AG at all.

Sure it does.

Extract Brewing is more versatile in the sense that it can be used in a wider variety of conditions (time, space, lack of powerful cooking apparatus, etc)

AG is more versatile in the sense that it can produce a wider range of beers.

Both camps are right here, one is just really poor at explaining it, and really obnoxious.

Sure it does.

Extract Brewing is more versatile in the sense that it can be used in a wider variety of conditions (time, space, lack of powerful cooking apparatus, etc)

Both camps are right here, one is just really poor at explaining it, and really obnoxious.

You know, that's a decent point. If someone else hadn't spent their entire time trying to insult me and tell me I'm wrong and closed-minded and instead had tried to elaborate on their thinking, this thread might not have gotten so out of hand.

Sure it does.

The Hero of the day!!

Sure it does.

SNAP!!!!!!

lol, dude just admit you used a poor choice of words, instead of trying to insult people. It's funny, tho, so it's fine if you want to keep it up :p

You must really get annoyed when there is more than one answer to a question.

Nice way to add a little jab and really emphasize just how juvenile you are. Luckily with school back in session your remedial homework should keep you busy.
:mug:

Nice way to add a little jab and really emphasize just how juvenile you are. Luckily with school back in session your remedial homework should keep you busy.

OK buddy, you win. We've been successfully discredited and are all a bunch of juvenile pricks. Let's all move on.

I will remain on this board because I'm more active on it than you are, and have friends here, but I am willing to call a truce.
That is a truce? Wow, are you going to say your dick is bigger next? How about your dad can beat up my dad? Please grow up a bit.

More active doesn't mean anything other than you have more free time between math and gym class.

That is a truce? Wow, are you going to say your dick is bigger next? How about your dad can beat up my dad? Please grow up a bit.

More active doesn't mean anything other than you have more free time between math and gym class.

I wasn't making a value judgment, just that I have as much right to be on here as you do.

And there are a lot of forums on here so if you'd prefer that we didn't cross paths again that's easily accomplished.

I can make any beer I want with AG and I enjoy the process. With extract, I can't make any kind of beer, but it was much quicker.

Also, before I started brewing all grain, I could fit my Nissan Versa and my surplus Tile in my garage. Now it is just full of kegs and buckets and hoses.

LOL that's a great point! I remember times when my brewing "equipment" was a soup pot and a bucket :)

Speaking of different brewing techniques...

Brew in a bag partial mash:

04mashin.jpg

05mash2.jpg

18 gallon all-grain:

5.jpg

11.jpg

Before we built the counter-flow chiller:

15.jpg

Fermenting in the conical:

16.jpg

Fermentation options:

1.jpg

5b.jpg

This guy fits 6 carboys:

6.jpg

I would argue that my partial mash brews are just as good if not better than most of my all-grain brews, despite the batch size.

Extract has limited options with the use of grains, but especially for stouts, it can almost make just as good of quality beers.

There is good brewing and bad brewing, but there are a million techniques throughout both sides (and in between)

well this is it, my first all grain beer is on tap and I'm drinking it now... I've got to say though, I don't see much difference between this and the extract brews that I do...

That's b/c this is your 1st AG. The more you do, the better you'll get at it and you'll quickly see how much better your brews have become. Extract beers can be every bit as good as an AG beer. But when it comes to less expense and more versatility of beer styles, there is no comparison to AG.
You just can't do a true smoked rye weizen!.:D

And besides, AG brewing proves to me that I am a true EAC!

I have done a few of both and I don't think I will go back to exact......all my batches were good not great.

I love the control AG gives. I just kegged a IPA with an IBU of 93! Couldn't do that with a kit.

The bottom line what ever makes you happy you should do.

Keg 1: Wit (AG)
Keg 2: IPA (AG)
Keg 3: Pumpkin Abbey (AG)

Secondary: Pilsner (AG)

On Deck:
Oatmeal Stout
Honey Lager

Back