Drinking my first all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extract sucks, you are not nearly Elite enough if you are not brewing AG!

I have an extract batch fermenting right now beside my AG Rauchbier .
They both have their time and place. Like BMC, It's not my choice, but it has it's place.

Versatile=
nissan-versa.jpg

+
grouting-tile-1.jpg

My brewery is very versatile. I can brew an extract batch while I do an all-grain batch all while doing a decoction mash and a cereal mash on seperate burners. I have 4 different cooling methods, 4 different types of fermenters, various size kettles with or without fittings, and three spaces for fermenting at different temperatures. 2 different mash paddles, two cleaning areas, reusable water, etc. :D

My brewery is very versatile. I can brew an extract batch while I do an all-grain batch all while doing a decoction mash and a cereal mash on seperate burners. I have 4 different cooling methods, 4 different types of fermenters, various size kettles with or without fittings, and three spaces for fermenting :D

Have I mentioned I hate you?

My brewery is very versatile. I can brew an extract batch while I do an all-grain batch all while doing a decoction mash and a cereal mash on seperate burners. I have 4 different cooling methods, 4 different types of fermenters, various size kettles with or without fittings, and three spaces for fermenting at different temperatures :D

Seriously!! I can't even begin m boil until are sparges are added because my HLT is also my BK!

Because my definition of versatile is the real one and doesn't include the time something takes. Time can be a tradeoff for versatility but it is not a factor in determining versatility.

It's like you're arguing that the variety of beers you can produce with AG is less than with extract, because AG takes longer. This is simply not true.

Hey man, nobody is arguing that. You're arguing that AG is less versatile because it takes longer.

Wow, i didn't know you were elected the grand decider of all things. :rolleyes: To think you grace us with your knowledge...wow.

I am not arguing that the variety is less with AG, versatility has a host of interpretations. If you could come down of your high horse you might see that. :mug:

Wow, i didn't know you were elected the grand decider of all things. :rolleyes: To think you grace us with your knowledge...wow.

I am not arguing that the variety is less with AG, versatility has a host of interpretations. If you could come down of your high horse you might see that. :mug:

By your reasoning, I could redefine toaster to mean cockroach, and if you objected I'd accuse you of being closed-minded to alternate interpretations. In the 28 years I've been alive I've never heard versatile being used to mean anything other than something related to the ability to do lots of different things, and the dictionary says the same thing. Versatile has never meant "generally good", and if you believe it does, you are mistaken.

Besides, if you examine the context of the post you decided to attack, DB most definitely used "more versatile" to mean "capable of producing a wider variety", not "generally better".

I have yet to see a single interpretation that has anything to do with time:

•having great diversity or variety; "his various achievements are impressive"; "his vast and versatile erudition"
•changeable or inconstant; "versatile moods"
•competent in many areas and able to turn with ease from one thing to another; "a versatile writer"
•able to move freely in all directions; "an owl's versatile toe can move backward and forward"; "an insect's versatile antennae can move up and down or laterally"; "a versatile anther of a flower moves freely in the wind"
•capable of doing many things competently; having varied uses or many functions; changeable or inconstant; capable of moving freely in all directions
•versatility - having a wide variety of skills
•versatility - The property of being versatile or having many different abilities; flexibility
•To have many different uses.

Here are some urban dictionary definitions:

A gay/bi term that means a guy is comfortable being either the pitcher or the catcher during anal sex. Some versitile guys have a preference for one over the other, but will do whichever depending on their current partner. Others have no real preference between the two and alternate to keep their sex life more interesting.

1. In gay terminology, top to bottom. Pitcher and Catcher.
2. with many uses: able or meant to be used in many different ways
3. moving easily between tasks: able to move easily from one subject, task, or skill to another
4. changeable: subject to rapid or unpredictable change
5. zoology free-moving: describes a body part or joint that can turn or move freely in more than one direction, e.g. an insect's antenna
6. botany attached loosely: describes an anther that is attached to the filament by a small area, allowing it to move more freely

So it does have "other" meanings :D

I think I have 8 propane tanks at the moment. Expensive hobby.

I dunno.. that doesn't seem all that...versatile.

(I crack me up, I really do. :D )

Come on now. Death doesn't ride a High Horse. He rides a Dead Horse..with flames and such. Speaking of Dead Horses....

By your reasoning, I could redefine toaster to mean cockroach, and if you objected I'd accuse you of being closed-minded to alternate interpretations. In the 28 years I've been alive I've never heard versatile being used to mean anything other than something related to the ability to do lots of different things, and the dictionary says the same thing. Versatile has never meant "generally good", and if you believe it does, you are mistaken.

Besides, if you examine the context of the post you decided to attack, DB most definitely used "more versatile" to mean "capable of producing a wider variety", not "generally better".

I you lived in a bunker (as your attitude suggests) for 28 years it really doesn't mean much.

I'm glad opinions are welcome here.

I you lived in a bunker (as your attitude suggests) for 28 years it really doesn't mean much.

I'm glad opinions are welcome here.

OK smarty pants. What do you believe "versatile" to mean, such that taking too much time negates this meaning? Give me one source that uses it this way, or one dictionary that gives this alternate definition.

This is not an issue of openmindedness, it's an issue of you're using a meaning of the word that doesn't exist in order to contradict someone.

OK. Everyone take 2 deep breaths. While the banana dances. :ban:

Oh God, did I actually post a banana? I hate dancing banana's.

I believe "versatile" in relation to time applies when a certain system etc can be used to save time as in "my leaf blower has more than one speed setting resulting in the saving of time it takes to blow leafs off a lawn". But time is not a requirement of something being versatile.

Usually it is in regard to multi-use, multi-function or variety.

my 2cents. (Where's Shecky when you need him? ;) )

For the record I've lived in Illinois, New York, California, New Mexico and Tennessee. I've been from Hawaii to Alaska to Canada to Mexico to Wales and never once read a dictionary that specified, or heard someone say "versatile" with the usage that you claim to be correct.

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=165857&Messages=35 said:
But, versatile does not mean the best.

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Synthesis/The-Cryan-Shames/e/090771618825 said:
Versatile does not mean great, though, or especially interesting, and can also mean an absence of a solid identity.

http://www.ifiji.com/yumbo/howreview.htm said:
In any case, BEING VERSATILE DOES NOT MEAN BEING GREAT !! Bernard Herrmann was not versatile, but he was a genuis !!

http://forums.nutsie.com/viewtopic.php?p=1180055&sid=22d4166b90af39b610eff182e2feed52 said:
Being versatile does not mean being more skilled.

But if you won't accept what the dictionary says, or listen to people who actually know what versatile means, then by all means, you're free to take any definition of versatile you want.

However, the poster did not use the definition you're insisting upon, so your attack on the opinion that AG is more versatile than extract - meaning, capable of producing a wider variety of beers - is entirely moot.

Are you saying you don't have the time?

Or you are you not capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, capable of many uses, or variable or changeable?
Oh, I have the time, just not the inclination.
As for the second part, yes.

shecky, what denny is asking is whether you are a top or a bottom?
Depends on my mood, really.

Way to ruin someones post you guys! To bad you're not versatile enough to actually help in the beer related threads, Maybe if you had more time you could improve your veratility.

From the Oscar Vesbutin Dictionary : "Versatility is the measure how something is compared to an often thought inferior method or model base soley on time, energy, or a combination of both."

Staying far, far away from this. I'm not versatile enough to provide anything worthwhile. :D

OK, fine...back on point.

Example: All-grain makes a superior Roggenbier, since you cannot steep rye.
Not only is extract inferior in this regard, but it's simply impossible to do.

Case in point. You simply cannot make all the beers with extract that you can with Grain. Thus making it more Versatile and better as a general beer method. Nobody ever said a pale ale made with Grain will necessarily be better than the same one made with extract, Thats what you're missing here.

How do you post a youtube link without it directly linking the damn video

I can make any beer I want with AG and I enjoy the process. With extract, I can't make any kind of beer, but it was much quicker.

Also, before I started brewing all grain, I could fit my Nissan Versa and my surplus Tile in my garage. Now it is just full of kegs and buckets and hoses.

OK, fine...back on point.

Example: All-grain makes a superior Roggenbier, since you cannot steep rye.
Not only is extract inferior in this regard, but it's simply impossible to do.

Well.... technically you can steep malted rye but it's really messy and gummy and not really worth it.

FOr a roggen you'd have to use 50% rye malt or more so DB is correct here.

I have never seen a rye extract

It's really gummy and messy when you're mashing it. The point is it MUST be mashed. You're not going to get much from it steeping, and you certainly can't make a roggenbier that way.

My first partial mash was with rye...by accident. I thought I was steeping :D

This might of been one of the funniest posts I've ever seen on here! I'm on my lunch break at work and crying in laughter while reading these. Thanks for the entertainement!!:mug:

Back