Drinking more from kegs versus bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yourlastchance89

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone else found this to be true?I've just barely started kegging with only two batches kegging thus far. Kegged my first batch about two weeks ago and we tapped it last night, on the other side I've still got bottles from 6 batches ago stored away. Do you guys find you flow through kegs faster than bottles?

No, I find that I don't drink more. Maybe initially, because when you open bottles you have the dead soldiers lined up on the counter to hold you accountable, but after a while I found that I was drinking less. I like to pour a four ounce glass sometimes, like before a bit before I go to bed, and in the past I may have opened a bottle and drank 12 ounces.

Yep same as above, not that I ever bottled but I do find myself pouring partial glasses from the keg.

Honestly, to me it's more about the style than what it's in. I brewed a blond ale and killed it in a weekend with by cousin. But I'm not gonna sit and drink 5 gallons of Imperial Stout in one weekend, not matter what the vessel is. Some people may. But not I. That's a lot of damn Calories!!

More. My keezer is in our sunroom so to save trips it's easier to fill up a pitcher and I don't want to waste any.

I have 2 homes and split my time about half and half. Both homes have homebrew, but one has kegs, the other bottles. I usually drink more beer when I'm at the keg house. Why? Hard to say, but its different getting a pint off the keg compared to opening a bottle. Actually trying to be more aware of my beer consumption and overall calories consumed in a day, so I'm cutting back.

I think I drink less from the keg pouring partial glasses as above. But unlike the bottles, I drink a keg in less time because I only have two on tap. Bottles are easier to keep different styles in the fridge or basement. I rarely take a partial keg out of the fridge, waiting until it is empty instead.
I also drink less because I was gaining weight.

Probably drink more when I have kegs around. I do partial pours, like many posts above, but find myself going for refills when down to 1/3 of a glass to mix in cooler beer with the last bit in a glass that has been sitting out for a while. But also depends on style. I had a Cali Common that lasted through 2 changes of the other keg spot since SWMOB didn't care for it as much.

Probably less for me. If I had a particularly good-tasting six-pack in the fridge, I'd probably have two or three of them at one sitting.

I think I drink more often with kegs, but not as much. Not unusual to pull one beer in the evening, and I doubt it's 12 ounces most of the time.

But not tonite. :)

I always seem to fill my glass as opposed to just haveing 12 oz. guess I need a smaller glass. Lately I seem to have trouble motivating myself to keep the kegs full.

After the newness of draft beer wore off, I think less. Usually at the end of the night I want a little more beer. With a keg I can go for a satisfying 25% pull. With bottles I have to crack another.

I dunno... I haven't bought beer to bring home in over a year..... I do have a system to "track" my consumption from HB kegs and also fund my hobby.

I charge myself $2 per beer.... For every beer I pour, I put 2 bucks in the till... that includes beers for friends (I pay, I don't charge people) and growlers to go..... All ingedients and equipment purchases must come from these proceeds.. It's my way of keeping my expenditures inline with my enjoyment of the hobby.

It's crazy but it works

I dunno... I haven't bought beer to bring home in over a year..... I do have a system to "track" my consumption from HB kegs and also fund my hobby.

I charge myself $2 per beer.... For every beer I pour, I put 2 bucks in the till... that includes beers for friends (I pay, I don't charge people) and growlers to go..... All ingedients and equipment purchases must come from these proceeds.. It's my way of keeping my expenditures inline with my enjoyment of the hobby.

It's crazy but it works

Holy schitt! $80 a keg? (Assuming pints.) For what I pay in ingredients, (bulk purchases), even a big American barleywine will cost me less than $30 a batch. That would be a ton of "profit" for me to buy more stuff I don't really need. That would be like brew-a-batch-get-a-used-keg-for-free.

FFS, I have to figure out how to talk the wife into this scheme. I love it!

As for the OP:

Sometimes I drink a lot, because I may use a pitcher to make for less trips to the taps.

Sometimes I drink less, because I may decide to drink out of a 5 ounce tasting glass all day. <-- Good for Sundays! Makes Monday morning suck much less.

I tend to pour 5oz glasses during the week (2 per day) weekend I will pull out the 12oz and try to stay at (2 per day). When I bottled, I would do 2 12s a day. I guess I am drinking 5 12oz less from the tap.

I do like the idea of charging myself for a pull to help pay for this addiction (hobby);)

I drink more from a keg big time. First I'm pouring pints so right there it more beer per serving and second I loose track of how many I've had which is never good. If I have a 12 pack I can see what I've drank. More than once I've said "holy crap,I drank X amount of the 12 pack already" and start drinking water....doesn't happen with a keg.

Really looking forward to having beer on tap. Way too many times do I want a bit more beer but another full bottle is more than desired (especially in the IIPA varieties).

I think the novelty at first made me drink more. And especially if you have more than one keg tapped, you may want a bit of each.

But now I would say less, due to the partial glass others mentioned.

I drink more from a keg big time. First I'm pouring pints so right there it more beer per serving and second I loose track of how many I've had which is never good. If I have a 12 pack I can see what I've drank. More than once I've said "holy crap,I drank X amount of the 12 pack already" and start drinking water....doesn't happen with a keg.

Yep this, my friend started kegging about a year ago and he says it's harder to keep track of how much he drinks. When bottling you just count the bottles.

I tapped my House IPA last Friday and it was gone in 5 days (5 gallons). Husband had a few as well but it was mostly me because it was that darn good. For anything else a keg lasts about 2 weeks. Same as many of the above, most times I don't want a full pint so use an 8oz tasting glass. Then again, my kegerator is in our garage where I sit a lot (smoker) and it's just too darn convenient.

I vote for more. Also vote for investing in smaller glasses if you keg. Like others said you go to the keg with pint glass do you get 12 oz? Probably not.

Been off the forums for a while due to finals so I never responded to this. I've only kegged a few months now and I've finished 2 kegs almost 3. I use a kegerator too and I keep a liter mug by the taps for my German lagers. Typically fill one up at the end of the day and the weekends maybe 2. Just super easy and ready to pour. I've still got bottles laying around from every batch I've bottled so far, but I typically keep a few for aging or sentimental value. I've refrained from pouring them a little more now. I just kegged a Marzen a week ago and other than small sampling I'm refusing to touch it till September. Probably won't make it till October though that thing turned out good

I drink more from kegs.

Why?

When I pour a beer I think, "that's really good, I need to drink quickly so I can brew more".

I have 5 taps so that makes five kegs I'm trying to empty so I can brew more!

:)

oh, darn. When I read the thread title I had this vision of someone spinning their wall mounted tap upside down and using it like a water fountain :D

I drink more from kegs.

Why?

When I pour a beer I think, "that's really good, I need to drink quickly so I can brew more".

I have 5 taps so that makes five kegs I'm trying to empty so I can brew more!

:)

Haha yeah this is me. I only have two taps so right now I am trying to power through my cream ale so I can put the IPA I brewed on and brew again!

Latest posts

Back