Drink all night and never get drunk?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure I buy into it- the pH of the stomach would surely denature the ADH, otherwise we'd be digesting alcohol by now instead of absorbing it first. I guess if I were eating yeasty yogurt between drinks, I wouldn't be drinking nearly as much though.

Sciencey stuff: Yep. Check it out: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bit.260390416/pdf
Check the section on pH, and take a peek at the graph on p. 476. Yeast ADH in aqueous solution shows near zero activity outside of its optimal pH range of around 8.2. That means in the stomach's environment of pH 1-3, it's not doing anything. Sorry Sam. Out of respect for the beer and brewer, I'll refrain from the "Science, *****!" meme.

I also read this, I am going to try it tomorrow, having some folks over for a fire, and I generally have a hard time finding my house afterwards. Should mention the fires are in my backyard... so I'll check it out and report back later.

I saw the story all over Facebook yesterday and a lot of people mentioned that they've seen him very drunk too. Of course that doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

It's an interesting idea, but it doesn't seem that appealing to eat all that yeast.

Back