Dried hops are crawling with Aphids. Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
I see that there is another thread or two on this but I have not found much of a consensus about what to do when your dried harvested hops are crawling with these bugs. They seemed good when we picked them, then within 24 hours I noticed a very significant amount of tiny tiny little aphids taking over. Now after another 24 hours I am seeing lady bug larve starting to show up to this awful party and crawl around as well. I plan to use my harvest for one beer, half in the whirlpool and half in dry hop. What would you do if you were in my situation. This was my first actual decent harvest so I will be bummed if I have to throw them all out...

Definitely no expert here on this subject. Have you considered just freezing them out before using? I know that grain has seen more bugs than you want to know throughout the processes. Why would this be much different?

Anybody knows that the frozen aphids taste better than the fresh ones. In addition, by freezing you are sure that no aphid will escape, and the beer will benefit by the all insect full potential. :)

OnT: It is likely that when the hops get dryer the aphids and other bugs will not find hops attracting and they'll leave.

I have noticed a slight decrease in the amount of aphids as they have been drying but they are still pretty prevalent. Thankfully they haven't completely taken over my basement but I would like to freeze these hops for use by the end of the week and I don't think they will be all gone by then.

Local hardware store sod have some insecticidal soap with the garden stuff.
They claim you can spray this stuff on peppers and such, harvest the same day and be safe.
I always wash the peppers real good.
The soap drives the aphids away.

Local hardware store sod have some insecticidal soap with the garden stuff.
They claim you can spray this stuff on peppers and such, harvest the same day and be safe.
I always wash the peppers real good.
The soap drives the aphids away.

But he hops aren't going to be rained upon and washed. He's already to the drying process....

I know 0 about hop drying.
Will the soap and a subsequent rinse do more harm than delaying the drying process?

Do the lady bugs eat the hops, or leave them alone?
Are they making any progress on the aphids?

Will the soap and a subsequent rinse do more harm than delaying the drying process?

Reads as if he already started the drying process, so adding any moisture is pretty much out of the question.
Probably just gonna have to wait and see

I haven't started the drying process yet and mine are infested. Should I rinse, spray them with that spray and then rinse? Or should I just turn the fan on and let them dry out a day or two?

Also know nothing about aphids, but could you make a "tea" from the dried hops (aphids and all), filter it into a jar with a cap and store it in the fridge until needed?

Anything that delays the drying process is doing harm. In fact if I was the OP and only had enough hops for one brew, I'd forget trying to dry them at all. Drying just destroys valuable compounds that make your beer tastier. But hops decline rapidly once picked - ideally you want to be picking them during the mash/boil and then straight in as green/wet hops.

I'd forget trying to use chemicals in this situation. It's not ideal to have the aphids, but at the same time they're not going to do huge damage - I'd tend towards just finishing drying them and then stick the hops in the freezer. If you're really bothered then I might just put them in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before continuing to dry them.

The lady bugs eat the aphids and leave the hops alone.

The lady bugs eat the aphids and leave the hops alone.

Ladybug larvae have such a ferocious appetite for aphids they've earned themselves the name "Aphid Lions", and they can be purchased online or from nurseries for gardeners battling aphid infestations. A few years back we had a large hedge that was totally covered in aphids and seemed to be dying, we put two envelopes (~100 total) of these "lions" around the base and within 2 weeks they had it cleared all the way to the top. If you're lucky they will make a home in your garden and come back every year. It's also a good idea to release some each spring to ensure your hops are protected, just cheap insurance for your valuable crop.

Ladybug larvae have such a ferocious appetite for aphids they've earned themselves the name "Aphid Lions", and they can be purchased online or from nurseries for gardeners battling aphid infestations. A few years back we had a large hedge that was totally covered in aphids and seemed to be dying, we put two envelopes (~100 total) of these "lions" around the base and within 2 weeks they had it cleared all the way to the top. If you're lucky they will make a home in your garden and come back every year. It's also a good idea to release some each spring to ensure your hops are protected, just cheap insurance for your valuable crop.

Ayup. Most of the local nurseries, around here, sell ladybug larvae seasonally.

FYI for anyone who spots aphids or spider mites on their hops before harvesting, you can spray up into the bines with plain water using your garden hose and get most of them to go away. There are some organic sprays and things like neem oil you can use. I don't, because I don't want to chance any of it getting into my brew.

I recently did a couple fresh wet hopped beers. I picked during the mash and boil, then dry hopped with hops from the freezer. My hops were not infested but I know there was most likely bugs in them. Using frozen hops just makes me feel better that bug were at least not moving.

Knowing that there may have been bugs that perished in my beer, do I need to tell people that don't eat foods with faces?

Back