Drawing Help Needed - Two 120v circuits, 2 PIDs and 3 Elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBBF

Reaction score
I hate to ask this. If I had the tools, I would prefer take my best shot and ask for a review. If what I'm proposing is possible, could somebody help me with a drawing.

I picked up a 12x8x8 console enclosure, thinking it would be more than enough room to follow one of the dual 2000W 120v builds, but with two pump.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/dual-2000w-120v-recirculating-ebiab-build-381476/

Before I ordered my electrical components and start punching holes, I had to ask myself, "Do you think you would ever want to expand? Should you leave room to expand in this enclosure?" Scope creep sets in and before I know it, I'm trying to figure out how to shove a RIMS controller in there. It would be tight on both the inside and the outside (see the panel sketch below). To save space, I want to use 20amp toggle switches. This should eliminate the need for contactors, as well as being a little smaller on the panel face. Although I will miss having no LED indicators. I think I'll have to bump out the element & pump outlets to an outside outlet box in the back. Very similar to what russki did in his enclosure. The depth of the components is a concern and I'll have to recheck my trigonometry (and they say you will never use it after school).

The build is two 2000w elements in the boil kettle, a 1500w element in a RIMS tube and two pumps.

The BK PID will control elements #2 and #3 . The RIMS PID will control element #1. A two position toggle switch will be used to control power to element #3. A three position toggle switch will supply power to either element #1 or #2. I'll never be able to power all three. I'll be able to heat up my sparge water with #3 while #1 is used by the RIMS and after the mash is complete I can use #2 & #3 to boil.

In my sketch, the PID and element switches are toggle, not the round selector type. The pump switches would be push button/LEDs. The alarm switch will be toggle or selector. I'm still a little unsure about the lack of indicator lights on the elements. I'd like to save space by not using contactors. Maybe I could use a non-LED indicator?

If this seems possible, I would appriciate any help I can get.

20131011143815.jpg

Back