Draft Tower Build: beer line insulation/theories?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzygone

Reaction score
I’m thinking of building a custom tower for my new kegerator: but I’m struggling with Managing the beer lines through it...

I’m looking to build a Black Iron Pipe tower. I’ve read the DIY posts: and some say to use basic insulation, some say use glycol (wayyy out of my comfort zone!)

My thoughts were to use 2” Black Pipe, and then run a smaller diameter (1.25 or 1” PVC) up this middle.... then use spray foam to insulate between the PVC and black iron?

But I’m curious: what’s more important: insulating the lines, or allowing airflow along the lines? There could be several days before pours....

I would run the lines thru the pvc, add a p.c. fan angled upwards into the tower and see what happens. Try that first and go from there. You can always insulate after the fact.

I have a two-tap kegerator I built using a cheap ebay two tap chrome tower and a $50 craigslist minifridge. I ran the tower lines through a 3/4" piece of copper tubing, about 30" long give or take. The copper goes within 2" of the taps themselves, and continues down into the kegerator itself about 15", so it sticks out into the middle between the kegs. The beer in the lines stays cold enough that I have not noticed any problems on the first pour - and now that I'm on the diet wagon I only drink on the weekends, so 5-6 days between pours. I wrapped the copper pipe in standard pipe insulation. I think I spent ~$10 on the total of it.

I looked at fans and glycol and all that jazz - and the copper tubing was cheap and easy to deal with.

What I can tell you from experience is running the lines inside copper tubes that extend into the fridge is a TOTAL waste of time and effort. Made zero difference when I removed them ( it's a thing around here)

Always wondered about the spray foam. Nasty stuff to deal with if there is an issue.

Don't even think twice about not getting a flow control faucet....it will be your best kegging friend. Solves most all foam issues.....get a sanke keg instead of a corny. The keg most likely came with sanke connections to begin with....WAY better than corny kegs

What I like about the copper idea is the thin wall size, which would allow for more insulation. The PVC is quite thick!

I may not be able to go with flow control: I want to pour cider eventually, or maybe prosecco for the wife: and I hear the acidity can cause issues with certain flow-control taps.... (Then again I guess I could just have one Standard Tap around to swap out the occasions that I chose to use the acidic options)

What I like about the copper idea is the thin wall size, which would allow for more insulation. The PVC is quite thick!

I may not be able to go with flow control: I want to pour cider eventually, or maybe prosecco for the wife: and I hear the acidity can cause issues with certain flow-control taps.... (Then again I guess I could just have one Standard Tap around to swap out the occasions that I chose to use the acidic options)
Never done anything but beer but pretty sure beer lines are meant for beer only. I've heard even adding fruit like blueberry will give off flavors to the next beer. Packing the tubes out with foam could be a headache

I’ll have to look into the lines (That’s the first I’ve come across it): I was more concerned with the taps themselves (I guess the Perlick flow controls have a few non-stainless components in them, which are affected by aciditiy).

What would be better: more airflow around the lines? Or less room around the lines with more insulation?

My thoughts were to use 2” Black Pipe, and then run a smaller diameter (1.25 or 1” PVC) up this middle.... then use spray foam to insulate between the PVC and black iron?

This is what I did. Except mine is 2" pvc -> layer of spray foam -> 3/4" pvc. I only needed room for two beer lines.

I've got a fan with a flex tube running up the tower. Works great. We keep the kegerator outside on our covered patio during the summer, and don't have any issues with foam

I've got a fan with a flex tube running up the tower. Works great. We keep the kegerator outside on our covered patio during the summer, and don't have any issues with foam

I’m curious roughly how wide the flex tube is?

Basically I’m trying to build my own tower, but I want to be sure I leave enough clearance for the lines.... but I’m not sure what’s more important: lots of room for airflow or less room with a blower going into the conduit.

I’m curious roughly how wide the flex tube is?

Basically I’m trying to build my own tower, but I want to be sure I leave enough clearance for the lines.... but I’m not sure what’s more important: lots of room for airflow or less room with a blower going into the conduit.

It's a 1/2" flex line. Gives a good flow into the tower, and allows for circulation. I have a standard dimension beer tower with two taps on it.

I may not be able to go with flow control: I want to pour cider eventually, or maybe prosecco for the wife: and I hear the acidity can cause issues with certain flow-control taps

Interesting, I figured you were referring to the issue of acidic ciders stripping off chrome coating (easily solved by getting stainless steel faucets), but then read this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=528823

After reading it through, I'd be less inclined to buy flow control faucets for any purpose (since apparently the flow control mechanism can create an air pocket that creates off flavors in any drink, not just acidic ones). FWIW, I've been very happy with the base-model Perlick Stainless faucets (stainless so I can pour ciders without worrying about corrosion). Here's the current model:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/beer-faucet-perlick-stainless-630ss.html

Interesting, I figured you were referring to the issue of acidic ciders stripping off chrome coating (easily solved by getting stainless steel faucets), but then read this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=528823

After reading it through, I'd be less inclined to buy flow control faucets for any purpose (since apparently the flow control mechanism can create an air pocket that creates off flavors in any drink, not just acidic ones). FWIW, I've been very happy with the base-model Perlick Stainless faucets (stainless so I can pour ciders without worrying about corrosion). Here's the current model:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/beer-faucet-perlick-stainless-630ss.html

I didn’t read that whole first thread you posted: but yes: that’s what I was getting at, with the leaching of off flavors due to metallic differences. I called Perlick directly and they said avoid the flow control if Cider was in my future.

I did get an Intertap flow control, which they say is 304 all through, and therefore safe to use with ciders and wines. Also; the Intertap is supposed to have a conical shuttle which may alleviate any bubble pockets?

Either way, I may just grab a couple Intertap faucets without flow control as well. I can already see the extra parts to clean with the flow control being an issue.... along with the extra lever that friends HAVE to touch for some reason!

Back