Down with the big beer man and fing politics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2drunkmonks

Reaction score
I just watched episode 1 of Brew Masters with Sam C. from Dogfish Head brewery on the Discovery channel. It is the best show ever created for beer aficionados. I read a comment somewhere that the reason that the show was cancelled after only 6 episodes was because Coors threatened the Discovery channel with pulling thier advertising from the Network. This is a damn outrage and we as citizens of this great country should have the right to watch this show....:rockin::rockin::rockin:

It is an outright tragedy....

I'm still not sure that story is true. The show got bad ratings. Anthony Bourdain seems to be the sole source of the rumor.

Show was ok for about an episode. Then the every-show-is-a-countdown-to-disaster reality TV theme wore very quickly. DFH was probably the right brewery to try the show with because Sam is a great marketer (regardless of thoughts on the product) and brews some exotic beers (again, regardless of thoughts on the quality of product). There's really not enough audience willing to watch a brewing show week after week to stay on a major cable network. After all, how many times do you tune out during brewery tours when they start in with the required, "beer is made from four ingredients..." speech?

The show seemed to be about beer for 2 episodes then it was about being in exotic places getting exotic ingredients then almost nothing about the brewing with those ingredients. Still wish there had been a bit more about the process in creating a new beer instead of a 5 minute clip of them sniffing ingredients then cut to the brewpub and people saying the beer is great.

Yeah, it wasn't really a very good show - spoken as someone who loves beer, and loves shows about how crap is made. Just didn't click. No reason to believe that there was anything else beyond that.

The show seemed to be about beer for 2 episodes then it was about being in exotic places getting exotic ingredients then almost nothing about the brewing with those ingredients. Still wish there had been a bit more about the process in creating a new beer instead of a 5 minute clip of them sniffing ingredients then cut to the brewpub and people saying the beer is great.

A concise and excellent review. This show didn't need to be on any more than it did, any more than the myriad reality TV shows that are constantly being pushed out of the mill....e.g, OK, I've seen you make beer / drive a truck on a frozen lake / make cupcakes / show you can be a crazy dick trying to straighten out someone's restaurant / etc. I've seen it, you can put it away now.

Exactly my thoughts as well.

Back