Double Trouble! Please advise!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tCan

Reaction score
So.... here goes.

I'm brewing a weizenbock. I have limited gear, so I had cut down a 5 gallon recipe in half. So now I have ~2.5 gallons of wort. That ferments. I check it after a while, and it reads dry on my hydrometer. So I rack to a 1 gallon and 2 half gallon jugs.

A week or two later, I smell beer. Crap. My 1 gallon jug popped.

A month later I decide to finish up. Open the first jug, and rack to a temporary 1 gallon container before bottling. No problem. At this point I realize that I've added enough priming sugar for the half batch instead of a quarter batch. (I forgot to cut it down because I lost 1 gallon). I go to open the second jug and it's carbed like you wouldn't believe. I vent it with the lid partially off for 5 minutes.

Finally get the rest of it into the 1 gallon jug after making a huge mess. Get it all in bottles, and then start thinking "Now what?"

I have beer that's already carbed that now also has twice the priming sugar in it than the recipe calls for. What should I do besides put it in a bucket and hope for the best? Can I vent it any?

Your best bet is to pry up the caps so the carbonation can release, wait until they are totally flat and then use carbonation tabs and recap the bottles with new caps.

I would guess that the jug that was carbonated was either sealed before fermentation had finished or got infected.

I would not leave the bottles capped tightly. The extra priming sugar is enough to create bottle bombs and whatever was the problem with the pressured jug is problematic.
IMO, if you cap them they will explode.

I checked the hydrometer! It was at the FG. Anyway. I'm using 40oz bottles with screw tops and I've been venting the bottles a couple times a day. They're developing some serious pressure! How many more days should I keep venting before it'll be safe to let them carb up and finish off?

Back