Double the recipe volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizenheimer

Reaction score
So I've got a 6 gallon all grain recipe that I absolutely love but I go through it in no time. I'd like to brew it as a 12 gallon recipe next time. Is it as simple as doubling all the ingredients and brew as normal? Or are there other modifications I will need to make?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I have nothing to contribute, but I've wondered this many times myself. I'm commenting so I'll know when someone with actual info responds!

I do it pretty regularly and it works for me. The first time I did it though I made the mistake of just doubling my pre-boil amount and did not take into account that the boil off will be about the same for a single or a double batch. Still ended up with good beer, just a little watered down and an extra 1.5 gallons.

I do it pretty regularly and it works for me. The first time I did it though I made the mistake of just doubling my pre-boil amount and did not take into account that the boil off will be about the same for a single or a double batch. Still ended up with good beer, just a little watered down and an extra 1.5 gallons.
Good point about the boil off. I probably would have made the same mistake. For some reason I thought the hop amounts needed to also be adjusted.

Aside from the boil-off rate, you will want to adjust the hops additions, especially the early bittering addition(s) because the gravity of your pre-boil wort will be different due to the different relative volumes.

Aside from the boil-off rate, you will want to adjust the hops additions, especially the early bittering addition(s) because the gravity of your pre-boil wort will be different due to the different relative volumes.

I don't agree. The hops utilization is independent of wort gravity, and I think doubling the recipe (hops and all) will get you really close.

it will be really close, but the different volumes you have from the difference in boiloff amount will give you slightly different hop utilization. the difference will be the greatest at the start of the boil like weirdboy said, so your initial additions would be the most effected.

how much of a difference you would actually see is probably very small, though. if you arent trying to replicate a recipe to the letter (like for a competition or something), just doubling the ingredients is good enough. if you were trying to scale from, say, a 5 gallon batch size to several bbls, especially if brewing commercially or for a competition, you would definately want to factor in the differences.

Back