"Double-Pitching" Lacto

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
Had an idea and wanted to see what others' thoughts are.

I'm planning a pseudo-Berliner:

mash/sparge and collect 5.5gal wort.
cool to 130F
pitch pure lacto
hold at 130F for ~48-72 hours
boil for 15-30 mins
cool to 70F
pitch white labs wlp630 berliner weiss blend

so, good idea/bad idea?

What are you trying to accomplish with this? I feel like your doing a lot of extra work than you need to. You'll be pitching the lacto just to kill it off 2-3 days later just to reintroduce it, as well as needing to reclean the same equipment and move the beer multiple times.

If your set on a two stage souring, why not do a sour mash in your mash tun, sparge, then boil to add your small amount of hops, then ferment out with the wlp630. I think it would be achieving the same thing, but with less work and you wouldn't need to purchase that initial lacto culture

the effect i was going for was to blast an initial souring with the first lacto pitch, then allow the second pitch to sour anything else possible while the sacc fermented out the sugars over the next few weeks. I just wanted to know if anyone had done anything like this before because if it's a **** idea, i'll bag it.

The lacto will sour faster than others. The trick is to sample every 12 hours and boil when your reach the level you want. It may be two days, may be five. You could do the same with some lacto covered grain, but that is a dangerous route due to other possible contaminants.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Like I said, the most efficient use of your time would be to do a sour mash then to pitch the wlp630 after the boil. It would achieve exactly as to what I understand to be what your searching for but the process would be simpler: mash->hold warm for 24-48hrs to desired sourness in mash tun->sparge->boil->pitch yeast blend.

Your process: mash->sparge->pitch lacto->rack to boil kettle->boil->rack to fermenter->pitch yeast blend.

It works fine, but like I said, your basically doing extra work. To achieve the same outcome. If your really looking for a sour punch look into pediococcus

Like I said, the most efficient use of your time would be to do a sour mash then to pitch the wlp630 after the boil. It would achieve exactly as to what I understand to be what your searching for but the process would be simpler: mash->hold warm for 24-48hrs to desired sourness in mash tun->sparge->boil->pitch yeast blend.

Your process: mash->sparge->pitch lacto->rack to boil kettle->boil->rack to fermenter->pitch yeast blend.

It works fine, but like I said, your basically doing extra work. To achieve the same outcome. If your really looking for a sour punch look into pediococcus

yeah i know what you're saying, but with the sour mash you run the risk of incorporating other sour bugs and nasties, not just pure lacto. i'm happy to pitch a clean pure lacto strain and add the one extra step. agreed on the sour punch of pedio, but that takes too long! i want some quick souring!

Latest posts

Back