Double infusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arog3000

Reaction score
I am planning on doing my first double infusion today for a 5 gallon witbier. Could some one please let me know how much water and what temperatures to use? Thanks!! :mug:

5 lbs of two row pils
1 2/3 Whole Wheat Malt
3 1/3 White Wheat Malt

Maybe I should just do a mashout. Would that be acceptable do you think?

I was hoping to mash at around 154. I am reading that I should do a protein rest at around 122 for a half hour but not sure how much water to use for that and then how much to use to get it up to 154. Also not sure how hot to make the water to raise the temperature to 154.

Here is roughly what I'd do.

• Strike 10 qt at 135 --> 122 (I'd only rest it 10-15 minutes)
  • Infuse 6.5 qt(boiling)--> 154
  • Infuse 4 qt ---> mash out
  • Single batch sprage with 12.5 quarts of 175F liquor for a seven gallon boil.

:mug:
I was hoping to mash at around 154. I am reading that I should do a protein rest at around 122 for a half hour but not sure how much water to use for that and then how much to use to get it up to 154. Also not sure how hot to make the water to raise the temperature to 154.

A half hour at 122 will leave you with a headless, bodiless beer. Also, if you mash in a cooler it's really difficult to calculate amounts and temps for a step mash. A bigger question, though, is why are you doing a step mash? You should have a reason for every ingredient or procedure you use. If you don't know why you're doing a step mash, maybe you should stick to singoe infusion until you can do some more research.

When I added the one gallon to mash out it only raised the temp to 160. Do you think that will be a big deal? Everything else went well. I ended up at 132 for the first rest for 15 minutes then hit 156 perfectly for the mash for 60 minutes and then added one gallon and drained it. Looks good so far. Hopefully I hit my OG.

I researched Belgian Witbier recipes and most of them said a protein rest was good. I did 15 minutes at 133 and then 60 minutes at 156. I was under the impression that with Belgian Beers the protein rest was a good idea. Please advise.

I just looked into it again and indeed with using wheat it is beneficial to do a protein rest.

Thanks!! Hit my OG of 1.052 so it looks like good. I appreciate all the help.

A mashout begins at 160 to me.

The purpose of a true mashout is to denature enzymes. That won't happen at 160. You're doing a step mash. As you can see in this chart from How to Brew, alpha amylase remains active well into the mid 160s.

f79.gif

Latest posts

Back